SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just looking for some input on brake pads. The viggen is in need of new fronts, i'm down to about 15%. Pad wear is even and the calipers and rotor look to be in great shape. Question is what to buy. Dealer wants $290 CDN, which seem excessive to me (over $300 USD, these days) for the set which I believe are ceramic. Decent quality aftermarket ceramic set is about $140 locally. Online I can find for $39 bucks and up. I know that aftermarket parts can range from absolute junk to far exceeding OEM. I'm not looking for a performance upgrade, just a good OE quality (or better) replacement. Cost is not that important.

Any thougths??

Thanks, ROCO

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
akebono or akebono pro act are good and you can normally find a good price for them

hawk pads are great if you want to spend the money, but they are almost racing pads

·
Registered
774 Posts
I run EBC RedStuff pads front and rear on my Viggen with standard discs and they work very nicely.

·
Registered
933 Posts
They damn well better those pads get good reviews, plus less brake dust. I don't know what pads my car has because I bought it used with fresh pads but they make too much dust. When I replace them I am planing on useing red stuff pads with R1 concept rotors and goodridge stainless lines $$$. P.S. they make yellow stuff(i.e. racing pads) for our cars but that may be a bit much for me, I would hate to eat lamenated glass every time some jerkoff cut me short.

·
Registered
774 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Do they grab any better than the stock pads?
Yes they do, especially when they get warmed up slightly.
The other great thing is that they dust WHAY less then the stock pads.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have EBC Greenstuff all around, with EBC dimpled and slotted rotors, with SS goodridge lines. Braking is awsome, minimal dust. Especially high speed braking. Def worth the money.

Do a search and you can find my post with pics on my EBC setup

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you feel that the pads or the braided lines made the most difference or did you do them at the same time so can't comment? I also would like to know what kind of difference people notice from brake fluid changes I have heard good things about that super blue stuff, is it really that good?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
When I've changed to braided hoses the difference was staggering [or was this just manky hoses that I took off? or the effect of a full fluid bleed?] but indeed I have done hoses independently.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the super blue brake fluid, makes it easy to bleed the brakes.

As per what makes a bigger difference... not sure, I put everything on at once. The pedal certainly does not feel spongy, and when I really need my brakes, they give me the confidence to push the pedal hard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'm leaning toward the EBC redstuff or maybe greenstuff but is anyone running Akebono Euro Ceramic?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
i have the akebono pro act which is supposedly better for agressive driving

no pad fade after a hard 120mph to 0mph stop :cool:

they still bite well initiall the cold too, but they work better when they are warmer

·
Registered
772 Posts
I presently use Hawk pads on my viggen & they are great. I think HPS is the model whatever their street version is. They do not need to be heated up & have minimal dust & great bite for a street pad. Genuinesaaab use to sell them, not sure if they still do

I used their track pad for track events & they had excellent bite once warmed up but sucked for street use. That is why I would be leery about getting the redstuff pad as well as something more agressive especially if you live in a cold climate. Pads that are designed for the street cannot get enough heat in them to work especially when it gets below freezing & you are on the street.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I just did my brakes this summer and ordered all OEM bits from eEuro at almost 1/2 what the local dealer charges. Did my research and found that OEM is still the best value and performance to hassle ratio.

Local guys with Greenstuff complain about slow stopping squeels (I've heard it and it would drive me nuts, apparently common with many 'performance' pads) and redstuff....wouldn't dream of going there in our Canadian winters unless you are OK with poor braking for the first few blocks on a cold morning (sorry officer it's my brake pads, they need to be warmed up first....). Then there are pads that are harder then OEM and cause greater disc wear (I'd rather replace pads then discs!!!). There are also aftermarket rotors that rust more then OEM specially when exposed to salt.

Unless you have some special requirements I'd stick with OEM....brakes aren't worth messing with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts