SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Viggen out last week and ..I noticed when I go slow enough with the windows down, I can hear a slight scrape. Like the rotor is hitting the pads for a quick second.

I got on the brakes at about 30 mph and I don't feel any pulsating in the pedal. Maybe the are warped but very slightly? I'm not sure what this could be?? Any ideas?

Oh yes, I also noticed..whenever I used the brakes HARD, it will..have this buzz in the brake pedal. Maybe it's vibrating so fast it's buzzing, I have no idea.

Anyone know what this could be?

-Avinash

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm..You also have a Vig?

I can't find any aftermarket rotors for the Viggen.

I might just jack it up this weekend and take a look..hand turn each wheel and see .. I mean, I don't know what it could be.

I could also just..back it out and not use the brakes..then drive it for a little and temp (Raytek!) each rotor and see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yep, I get the 'brrrrrrr' sound( actually more like a feeling/shaking, but so slight it's more like a sound... ) when braking hard from extremely high speeds or braking extremely hard from reasonable speeds. I thought it was the slots, but a friend more versed in brakes said he thinks it is the ABS pulsating to keep the car straight. I dont have a problem with either of these explanations, and made it through my 60k fine.

As for the scraping noise, I got that too when I hit certain bumps it's almost like the disc moves a small amount in relation to the caliper and it scrapes a little bit... It went away for the winter but will probably return now that it's open window season again....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
avixcore said:
I can't find any aftermarket rotors for the Viggen.
[\QUOTE]

Well, your stock discs have slots in them.. it's just that one side of them is improperly 'handed' (look closely at one side vs. the other.. one side has the slots pointing forward and the other has them pointing backward) Nick @ GenuineSAAB said that they were going to work on a set that are properly slotted, but I havent checked back and the braking is so good on this car (for street use at least) that I havent felt the need to upgrade. I just wanted my slots to work right...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
it doesnt feel like abs to me. i have the same condition.... but she sure stops well! too well for me to feel super comfy slamming on the brakes on my snow tires... haha

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
mg_td said:
it doesnt feel like abs to me.
Yeah, I called bull on him when he said that because I had already used the car in the snow and knew what ABS felt like (this is my first car with ABS). He said that there are 2 modes of ABS, and this was the other one. 'Course he could have been covering himself at that point :D

I think that if 4 Viggens do it, either we all need discs and/or rotors, or they're all fine. If you ask that raccoon in the road the other day, I think he'd say my brakes are fine :cheesy: but his heart is still thumping a bit

·
Registered
531 Posts
Greasing of the sliders on your brakes will help with the metal-metal sound you hear with the window down. That will eventually get worse, I replaced my brakes because it needed to be done at the the time, so I am not sure if it was symptom of the brakes being worn or exclusively the sliders needing to be greased.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the slider that you are referring to and how hard is it to get to it?

What should I grease it with?

-Avi

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Grease my brake discs? Sweet, that'll prevent all that unnecessary rusting and stopping they normally do :cheesy:

On a more serious note, what IS a slider? and how do I grease it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The slider is a pin that the pads slide on right? I think that's what he means.

I was just wondering if he had any *helpful* diagrams

-Avinash

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
He is referring to the caliper pins under the dust caps. The caliper pins are smooth and polished. When the grease on the caliper pins gets old, sticky and dirty, the travel on the caliper is limited. As a consequence, you end up with the calipers unable to travel their full distance and the pads "sticking" to the surface of the rotors. This makes an annoying metallic sound, which usually goes away by pumping the brakes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went like 100 then stomped on the brakes. They continued to "buzz" with this VERY slight vibration that was happening very quickly. It changed pitch as I slowed down until I stopped.

Also, when I drive my car and I'm going slow, I can still hear that weird scraping, but it goes away while turning and sometimes changes and goes away when im not. I'm not sure what it is yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
guys, it was already explained... lube the sliders. yes, they're the little tubes that the caliper slides the pads on. get that lubed and it should stop the scraping sound. all it is is just the pads making slight contact with the disks, and to be honest it's really not that harmful, just annoying.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts