SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Car is 2007 9-3 with ~160K miles with 6 spd manual. I have noticed few things recently and want to see if i can remedy the problem/s. I try to do most of the maintenance work on it but at times need professionals. Car has had regular oil changes ~7000 miles with 0-40 Mobil 1 and either Mann, Mahle or Bosh filters.

Problems
  • Vibrations: I have engine vibrations when i start the car (cold start) and in less than ~2 min and then every thing is smooth, no ticks, engine revs smooth, and at few rpms its just gives a vibration (some plastic interior bit rattles). I am planning on opening the timeing cover this summer. I did check the front engine mount (driver side) and it looks okay but i do know as they are two more to check. Does the passenger side one fail? What about the one at the back? No poly bushing etc. just regular rubber ones all around! They come down to ~300 for all three.
  • Is there a good guide do to take the timimng cover and change the guides? What brand is better? cloyes? milling? or just saab?
  • Sound: I feel the car is louder, especially when i downshift (no clunking etc, but loud roar and some interior vibration as the speedo passes, 55mph, 30 mph as the speed keeps dropping). Dont know what in the car is causing the vibration. May be trans mount? Car dives smooth @ 70 or 90 + mph and still give ~30 mpg.
  • Need to change the belt tensioner as it has started making a whining noise (Stick with saab oem?)
So trying to get this car maintained for may be another 100K miles:). Thanks for all your help!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Replace the upper timing chain guide in the valve cover to start - cheap and easy to do - (as well as the valve cover gasket). It will quiet the chain during cold starts.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just Google them - you'll find plenty. One of the brands of the upper chain guide is made by Cloyes #9-5382. Gasket is Victor Reinz, Elring, FelPro or others..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure there are a lots of manufractures but i was more concerned about quality/preference by experience. I am going with Elring and cloyes. Now i need to find the WIS for re-tourque. I will search

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts