SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have started to suffer vibrations through what feels like the front wheels, from about 40mph up to 60.

I had the front wheels "balanced" at the weekend and it reduced the vibration enough to make teh car drivable, but it is still there. Trying to accelerate in 5th from 40mph shakes my teeth out!

I've recently had my tyres off to spray the wheels, so the balancing didnt suprise me that it was out.

My question is, is there something else that could be causing the problem or is it likely that the spotty oik that did my balancing just didnt do it well enough?!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
As opposed to the old Saabs with the more rugged double wishbone suspension, these of today are far more sensitive; on top of that the alloy wheels are delicate.
When all is perfect(new), these McPherson suspensions are better, but, with the inevitable pounding of the miles on the rubber and hydraulics, things change...
Apparently, only the use of a Hunter Road Force [8700 (?)] machine with a skilled operator will do..

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
Yes - truly good wheel balancing is key. The general rule of thumb is - if you can accelerate through the wobble...then it is balance. If the shaking gets worse then you have an unround wheel, or a bad tire. SO if you get past 60 and the sensation goes away, then I would say balance is your culprit.

Easy check - take your front wheels - and put them on the back. If one of them is the culprit you will notice it much less in the back. If you are especially adventuresome - do them one side at a time, as that way you can even determine the problem wheel (whatever its cause) - of course...that is presuming that you have 2 good wheels with good balance on the car.

I had a set of vikings that were ok, but there was always some shake no matter where I placed them (or balanced them - they all had some dings on them that were not really noticeable to the eye) Got another set on the car...and presto - smooth ride.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
As stated before these cars need perfectly balanced and round wheels to run smooth. Did this start just after the paint job ? and the fronts that came off to get painted go back on the front? Big wheels, low stiff suspension and London roads do make it very easy to bend a rim unfortunatley. If you have no joy with your local tyre fitter ( and you probably won't ) you will need to take it to the nearest garage with a Hunter force balancing machine (it's not that near as it's in Rainham) http://www.elitedirect.com/00_home/_aboutus.php
I had my old 18" wheels done here at £18 per wheel. They are a very proffessional and helpfull bunch down there - despite their Essex boy-racer cutomer base. There's a ton of stuff on various Saab forums regarding vibration - the nasty one is if it's only present on acceleration as this points to driveshaft problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts