SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Saab 9-3 Arc. About 3 months ago the car started vibrating at a certain speed, between about 63 and 75 MPH. The vibration goes away above and below these speeds, and the car vibrates at those speeds even if not accelerating. I had uneven wear on my front tires so I went and got 2 new front tires, and alignment, and a balancing. The vibration got slightly better, but worsened consistently thereafter. I brought the car into the shop today and had it balanced, and although better, there is still a moderate to strong vibration between those speeds. Balancing has not fixed the issues.

Being that I brought it to the shop and they checked the lugs and made sure everything was tight, it's not loose lugs, and not balancing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
429 Posts
bad vibrations

check steering rack;inner and outer tie rod ends. Also have a look at suspension bushings. Best to take it to a shop that specializes in steering and suspension. You might check with a local body shop. They might know of a Frame and alignment shop (they do all the things I mentioned)

·
Registered
54 Posts
How big are your wheels? I have the same problem above 55mph but it's because I put aftermarket 18''. But mine is a tolerable vibration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
same problem with my 2004 arc 17", between 110-120KM/hr, slight vibration, goes away below and above these speeds. It was worse but i did wheel balancing and it helped but never really eliminate the problem. I just learned to live with it.
I wonder how many more people experience the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got stock 215 55 R16 tires on the car, nothing special.
This wasn't always a problem, it developed recently.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i had this problem for a long time. i had the wheels balanced 3 times and 6 alignments in the span of 5 months. turns out, the wheel balance and alignment were off. the saab dealership wasnt aligning the car properly and the place i was getting my wheels balanced didnt have a good machine. id recommend going to a reputable tire/brakes/alignment place and ask them to put the car on the alignment machine and see what the readings are (i was charged 20 bucks for this) and have them print out the specs for you. the main thing you should be looking for is the toe being out. then ask them to put the wheels on the balance machine. the rear wheels dont matter if theyre off balance, just the fronts. but if theyre off balance make sure they take all the weights off and start fresh with new weights. if theyre checking them but not adding weights they should do it for free. also ask them to look for bald spots or uneven tread or whatever.

i know it sounds unnecessary, but if youve seen any of my threads youll see how frustrating this exact same problem was for me and the last thing i wouldve guessed it was was alignment/balancing since id done it so many times. a lot of places just dont care enough to make sure everything is perfect, and when it comes to things like this, it should be perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had this problem for a long time. i had the wheels balanced 3 times and 6 alignments in the span of 5 months. turns out, the wheel balance and alignment were off. the saab dealership wasnt aligning the car properly and the place i was getting my wheels balanced didnt have a good machine. id recommend going to a reputable tire/brakes/alignment place and ask them to put the car on the alignment machine and see what the readings are (i was charged 20 bucks for this) and have them print out the specs for you. the main thing you should be looking for is the toe being out. then ask them to put the wheels on the balance machine. the rear wheels dont matter if theyre off balance, just the fronts. but if theyre off balance make sure they take all the weights off and start fresh with new weights. if theyre checking them but not adding weights they should do it for free. also ask them to look for bald spots or uneven tread or whatever.

i know it sounds unnecessary, but if youve seen any of my threads youll see how frustrating this exact same problem was for me and the last thing i wouldve guessed it was was alignment/balancing since id done it so many times. a lot of places just dont care enough to make sure everything is perfect, and when it comes to things like this, it should be perfect.
That's interesting. I brought the car to a tire shop and had them do it, but there are other choices locally. I was thinking nearly the same thing as the recent balancing did improve the situation but did not fix it. I'll try again soon.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
im having similar issues between 50 and 65

and the answer i got from the shop was due to worn motor mounts

It will vibrate and shake at the right frequency and you wouldnt really notice it going above or below said speed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was my other suspicion. I had the same issue in my first car. I'll have this looked at as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts