SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in Boston area, horrible roads. Bought my 2001 9-3 sedan in 2002. 1 year lease, the guy returned it. Got a good deal on it. It did have a "bumping" vibration thing (not in the steering wheel... more of a lower thing, which I just feel throughout the car, barely noticable to passengers, probably some of it is in my foot) going on around 40mph and the salesman was like "we'll take care of that". They never did, took it in 2 weeks later, they said it was just a bump in the tire, it's not a problem. I was too busy to care.

Years go by, my brakes are going down bigtime, as are my tires. So busy can't even get the car in the shop until I need new rotors. New repairshop, they do a whole tuneup minus new tires, and they rotate old tires even though I told them not to (I was gonna take it elsewhere for new tires). The car is wobbling all over the place. I immediately take it to National Tire & Battery and I get some OK quality tires because I'm just gonna sell the car soon. I get the car back... no more vibration! I'm like "must have been those tires".

1 week later, it's vibrating again. This was like 4 months ago.

1 week ago I'm driving and can now HEAR the vibration... two sounds, the very slight thumb-wobble sound of rubber on cement echoing against fences to my right, AND i can hear a high-pitch "swee-swee-swee-swee" very slightly. I stop and look at my tires. No flat. Nothing weird. I drive on interstate around 70MPH and vibration is REALLY bad.... almost feels like a flat. But how can I have a flat this soon? The tires don't look flat either. Admittedly, I didn't check air pressure.

I go back to NTB last week and I tell them the problem. They're like "hmm" and they do an alignment and balance check. They balance for free and fix alignment for $80. I get in my car and yesterday I'm on the interstate again and once again, I get the vibration. Not as bad as when I took it back to NTB last week. But still worse than when I got the tires to begin with.

Anybody know what the hell is going on? There was a LOT of construction in my area the last 6 months. Did I bend something?

OH... just remember something. This is something I've noticed as well. Whenever I'm at a light, and I put my foot on the gas on green, and I feel that initial jerk of acceleration, I sometimes hear a subtle and small "thunk". It feels and sounds like it's coming from one of the wheels, or somewhere near the base of the steering. It especially happens when I'm turning right from an intersection but then that just might be because I mostly turn right anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
may sound a litle dumb but because of the construction could some mud get into the inside of the rims and throw them off.this happen to me this summer and thought my car would shake off the road at 110 km . i found the dirt and powerwashed it off and now it's smoth as silk right upto 170. hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chaseon said:
may sound a litle dumb but because of the construction could some mud get into the inside of the rims and throw them off.this happen to me this summer and thought my car would shake off the road at 110 km . i found the dirt and powerwashed it off and now it's smoth as silk right upto 170. hope this helps

I actually had a similar experience with ice and snow. Thought my wheel was gonna come off. I stopped the car, kicked off the ice and it drove better.

I don't think it's that because someone would have noticed it by now. It's been 5 years with various tuneups, balances, alignments, rotations, new tires, etc.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i have some mysterious wobbles and vibrations that come and go also. i have rotated my tires once and the vibrations were totally gone, but on the next rotation it was back. i do need to replace my tires and i have a wheel with a bent lip, so i have been dealing with it until i can get new wheels and tires. if it continues after that i will just say screw it! :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts