SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is behaving very strangely. (Saab 9000 Aero 1994) When I turn the indicators on with the Climate control on, the car has a large voltage drop and sometimes cuts out and restarts instantly.It is especially bad when the stereo, lights and windshield heater is on.

The car has been in the saab garage and they have tested all the electrical systems and cant seem to find the problem.

Can anybody help me?!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Can you narrow it to anything more specific. What you seem to be saying is that with a large load (lights, HRW etc), when you bring in more load, there's sufficient for it to drop the voltage below that which is required to keep an engine ECU going.

When you switch in your AC, there's the electrical load for the clutch but then the additonal load on the engine the same time.

It sounds to me like it's already marginal and then you've only got to add a bit more like the indicators to finally kill it.

Does it do it without all the rest of the load and only the AC/indicators?

I'd be surprised that the dealer can't help, it's their job but it sounds like the alternator isn't keeping up and/or the battery is shagged. Trouble is, sometimes if something passes the test, it means the test itself failed to perform. A friend of mine had a Citroen once which wouldn't produce any power. The garage stuck it on the diagnostics which said everything was ok - clearly it wasn't. In the end it turned out that the cat had partially melted thus obstructing the exhaust gas but in the workshop it would rev freely with no load and as far as the computer was concerned, all systems passed their relevant checks.

David.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Saabs are very sensitive to loose battery connections or poor groun/earth connections. Cheap to check, might be worth your effort to clean them all w/contact cleaner as well.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
KevinC said:
poor groun/earth connections.
That would be the first thing that I would look at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right!

Problem solved. It was the 32amp main feed from the battery in to the fuse box which had started to dust over and corrode. All it needed was cleaning up and problem solved.

Cheers for your help those who answered.

Now I can continue enjoying my Aero!!! :D :cheesy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey bud, had same trouble with our Aero. Earthing problem. Usually to do with one of main negative earth usually near the battery. Had an auto elctrician check and he cleaned a couple of earths up and it's been fine since, starts better too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts