SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdo folks,

I've had my 07 93 Aero SS for a little more than a month now and love the car. There's one thing that's driving me up the wall : this thing sucks gas more than my dad's F150 and more than my 2000 Pathfinder SUV -- really wasn't expecting that.

So far my commute is stop/go traffic morning and night (mostly stop/crawl) and I'm managing a whopping 250 miles (about 400km) on a full tank. which averages out to about 12-13l/100k (around 18mpg). Just to give you a reference the Pathfinder averaged over the same roads about 500k a tank and my dad's truck does about 450/475 on a tank.

Is this the norm for the V6 engine and winter fuel or is it just me ?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
morpheus14 said:
Howdo folks,

I've had my 07 93 Aero SS for a little more than a month now and love the car. There's one thing that's driving me up the wall : this thing sucks gas more than my dad's F150 and more than my 2000 Pathfinder SUV -- really wasn't expecting that.

So far my commute is stop/go traffic morning and night (mostly stop/crawl) and I'm managing a whopping 250 miles (about 400km) on a full tank. which averages out to about 12-13l/100k (around 18mpg). Just to give you a reference the Pathfinder averaged over the same roads about 500k a tank and my dad's truck does about 450/475 on a tank.

Is this the norm for the V6 engine and winter fuel or is it just me ?

Thanks
Is it a manual. Sounds like winter fuel and city driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 07 Aero CV 6 speed manual is averaging almost 21mpg stop & go, using premium in Florida, up about about 2 1/2mpg since I upgrading to BSR Stage 1.:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im getting between 18-19.5 in the city with my 2.0T. This is driving like a granny to get up to speed. It might be in my head but I poured a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner and my tank lasted a little longer. I probobally was driving slower on this tank also though. Check your tire pressure, you might be getting some unneeded drag and start a little slower out of the hole.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah my 2.0T has been sucking gas like crazy for some reason. No hard driving, but I really believe the main reason is the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
got 34 mpg on the highway on the way from dallas, btw its still in the break in period and is still getting 34 which i think is awesome.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Yeah my 2.0T has been sucking gas like crazy for some reason. No hard driving, but I really believe the main reason is the cold weather.
Yeah here too. I was going to post something about this. I have an 07 2.0T and I;m averaging 21 MPG?!?!

All I heard about for years was people averaging 30+ miles, and here I am at 21 when I drive 20 highway miles each way to work. I'm really pissed off about it.

Please tell me it gets better as the engine breaks in....

Also, does a BSR actually give you BETTER mileage?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Yeah its the cold weather. I just put some techron in my tank mileage is up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Last 1191 miles, avg spd = 40mpg, avg mpg is 29.7.

2.0T, 6MT.

Daily commute is half 45mph city streets (feeders), half interstate.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sadly, you're not the only one seeing this. I've been seeing 22mpg for a few weeks now, down from 31/32mpg on the same commute. It's frustrating...

·
Registered
52 Posts
morpheus14 said:
Howdo folks,

You cannot compare tank vs tank because the tanks in the other vehicles are bigger than the Saab. I get 500 highway miles/tank in my pickup but its got a 26gal tank. If I get 350 miles/tank in the Saab, its still better mileage.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
How long are these "commutes"? The coolant has to reach a certain minimum temp before the car can run in closed loop.
30 deg C for the 2.0
35 deg C for the 2.8

There are other preconditions. But basically your car spends more time running in open loop (running rich) in winter. This will have almost no effect on a 50 mile commute, but a big effect on a 5 mile commute.

·
Registered
24 Posts
exactly. I've noticed after filling up durring extensive driving this winter (100+ miles) that i've been pulling 34 mpg easy. My normal commute is about 24 miles though. I've tried to let my car warm up in the AM to see if that will improve it (unfortunately she has to stay outside this winter...), and she really hates the -2C mornings...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been getting 22mpg 14 miles round trip to work. Im about 600 miles in to the break in so I hope it gets better too.

Do your best to not floor it off the line. Lotta people burn tons of gas getting out ahead for no reason, during rush hour you are stopping again in 500 feet anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ctrlz said:
How long are these "commutes"? The coolant has to reach a certain minimum temp before the car can run in closed loop.
30 deg C for the 2.0
35 deg C for the 2.8

There are other preconditions. But basically your car spends more time running in open loop (running rich) in winter. This will have almost no effect on a 50 mile commute, but a big effect on a 5 mile commute.
~9 miles each way.

EDIT: I drew a rough version via Sanoodi... closer to 11 miles.. and yes, some looks like 4-wheeling, but the maps are just out of date :)

http://www.sanoodi.com/route/zimmy/114273/commute/

Mike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.