SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sometimes when i go to start the car the green lights on the dash won't come on and a few lights the dash will flicker and gauges don't work, when this happens the car will take a little longer to turn over but then will start. It runs ruff and eventually stalls when this happens(its auto). But other times the green lights on the dash and all gauges work fine and the car runs great. This never happens while driving only at start up, i.e. if the gauges work at start the car will run 100 precent fine with no stalling. Sometimes i can put key in run position and if gauges don't come one, turn key off and to on again and gauges will be good and car will start. Any ideas on what this could be? I am assuming a loose wire or something. PLEASE HELP!

Mike

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
It could be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Some have had lock cleaning the contacts, you I have never seen a DIY with pictures... Ron

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It could be a bad ignition switch. I would also check the condition of the battery and look for blown fuses.

·
Registered
554 Posts
sometimes these cars have odd electrical gremlins..

Why does my dash light up when I press the brake pedal?.. who the F%^& knows...lol

Best of luck..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Ill look into this, thanks guys. Would that also cause the wacky instrument panel though?
I was reading through a thread where someone was experiencing flickering dash lights and it turned out to be just the panel dimmer switch, but with the car stalling when the lights act strange I don't think it would be the panel dimmer switch.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Always tough chasing down electrical issues.
I would go through and clean all of the grounding points in the car.
Make sure the battery is up to snuff, if it's 3 years old or more consider a new one.
Clean and check the battery cables along with the connections to the starter and alternator and main ground.
Double check the serpentine belt and all of the pulleys that they are turning freely, especially the pulley on the alternator, it could be getting tired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts