SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with the ACC in my 2003 9-5. I could feel COLD air coming from the vents, but it was very weak. Reading different info on the web, I self diagnosed that it was the blower motor. Last night I replaced it we (wife and I) think we feel a little more, but it is still weak. I remember a time when it would part your hair. What should I look into next? The control module? It is blowing code 21. Does that have anything to do with the amount of air that is coming from the vents? I thought that had to do with the location of the air.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
This was happening to me the other day. It was going on all day - and very hot day, too! The next day, it worked fine... Try resetting codes and whatnot?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. Im wondering if its the final stage unit that controls the blower motor. I used to replace a lot of them on BMWs for a similar problem is why I wonder that.
Code 21 is for the recirculating flap motor i believe

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine. Im wondering if its the final stage unit that controls the blower motor. I used to replace a lot of them on BMWs for a similar problem is why I wonder that.
Code 21 is for the recirculating flap motor i believe
Yes you need to fix the flap on the passanger side, look for a broken arm Saab has a kit for this side. It will reduce flow....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a tip page or DIY info on this?
IS this the plastic piece? Can I get it locally, because I need to get it fixed ASAP (July 4th)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
There is a nice write up/lots of information in the FAQ on this. I am sure the pass side is mentioned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have replaced the blower. I checked the stepper motor and it moves with the ACC control. I checked the flap and when I manually move it the air moves from the floor to the dash vents. What else is there to check? I still have code 21 showing, but if the stepper motor is working why am I getting the code?

I also checked the cabin filter and it was NASTY, so I will get a new one. I checked everything with the cabin filter out and I do have more air coming out than before but not much.

Maybe I am not remembering properly, but I thought the air blew pretty hard on high. I remember on a hot day when I turned on the car the air would blow very hard to cool the car down.

Could I still have a control module problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the stepper motor off and ran it using the ACC and it moved and stopped. I manually moved the lever and the air moved from the dash vents to the floor vents. SO I think everything is fine with the stepper motor and blend door. I still have very little air coming from the vents.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
All Saab cars that I have purchased have had cabin filters full of debris. Search for this in the how-to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one was no exception. I pulled it out and have one on order. It did make a little change, but VERY LITTLE.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Re-read your original story L26. Code 21 is the recirculation motor behind the glove box obove the 4 bank of elec connectors. Read my prior posts. If the air recirculates, it does not have the same force as coming from the outside vents. The arm breaks on the motor leaving it either open or closed. In your case it's probably closed which causes a higher pressure sound but lower volume from vents. I just rec'd 2d unit from recycle yard. Sent them a pic from WIS and there were able to find the motor in car. They don't list this part so you need to be persistent or pay $221. If handy, fix the arm yourself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys !!! I will do a search on the blend door. I thought that was where I was at (removed glove box and up on the left).

Is this easy to find/get to?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If the motor is ok, a weak blowing fan can be the result of a failing blower control unit. The blend doors control the temp only, the rest is up to the fan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally found the correct motor. I was able to reach up and manually move the flap (feels like the side of a basketball). I assume that I am not supposed to be able to do that. I was also able to touch the side of the blower motor. Now I'm off to find a 6mm nut driver to get in that whole and pull it out.

I'm thinking that since I was able to manually move it then there is an arm or lever broke. If the gears were still engaged I would not be able to move the flap that easy. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
As I explore more into the workings of this A/C system I agree with that the recirc door has nothing to do with the output from the dash or floor vents. I can live with a broken recirc motor, if it's going to cost major $$$ to fix.

After talking to Saaber95 I have decided that the fan motor is not getting it's max voltage to run on HIGH. I have three different low fan speeds but the last two high ones. We decided that the fan should have a total of 5 volts when it is on high. I'm going to check the voltage to see what I'm getting at the plug going into the motor. I need to clean the plug contacts or replace the blower control unit.

I'm not sure about any of this. Just trying to figure out why I can't get enough air out of the vents.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If I recall correctly the recirc motor is $150 new but I got I used one for around $70, check eBay before you buy.

The downside of not having the recirc motor working is the flaps stay in the close position and no outside air can enter the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This makes no sense

Guys check this out.

I ran a hot and ground wire from my battery to my fan and it worked awesome. So I decided that the problem was the blower control. Next I put a volt meter across the two plug wires going into the blower motor. With the car off I got the same voltage as the battery coming across the plug. I started the car and used the ACC to go thru the fan speeds..... no voltage changed. So I plugged the fan back up and it started blowing hard.:p AS I wiggled the plug I could get different speeds of the blower motor. :confused: So as I kept wiggling it I figured the plug was needing a cleaning and maybe some grease. I put a little bit on it and the everything was working perfectly last night. :p:p:p

The blower motor works on so little a change in current/voltage that a little bit of corrosion can make a big difference. Before you go replacing the blower and blower controls you might give this a try.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts