SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called automotion a few minuites ago to find out the price for a stage 1 tuning and the guy told me that i should put a Mitsubishi TD04 on my 2000 Saab 9-5 Lpt.. Now I called up the dealership to see if that was possible and the guy in parts told me that he doesn't know. so I am hitting up the forum to get you guys opinion. Has anyone done this before and it is possible? thanks for your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I have not done this but is is possible. I believe the only mod that needs to be done has to do with either the water or oil lines to the turbo itself. If you search the board you will find quite a bit of info on this topic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i did a few searched online i found on ebay that run for about 400 if this would be a good upgrade then i would not mind getting it im just worried that if the saab guy doesnt know about it im not sure who will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I don't know if you do any DIY work but from what I have read on this board its is a fairly easy job to do yourself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pab95 said:
I don't know if you do any DIY work but from what I have read on this board its is a fairly easy job to do yourself!
Lol i dont trust myself with cars i can do the little jobs give me a motherboard or a computer to play around with i can work around it but a car.. hmm way too complicated and i dont want tro mess anything up lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
pab95 said:
I don't know if you do any DIY work but from what I have read on this board its is a fairly easy job to do yourself!
It's definately possible and not too difficult at that. The hardest part (after collecting all the little bits you need) is fighting with the 7 year old bolts.

Or at least that's what I hear, my car came with one from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raven18940 said:
It's definately possible and not too difficult at that. The hardest part (after collecting all the little bits you need) is fighting with the 7 year old bolts.

Or at least that's what I hear, my car came with one from the factory.
Yeah you have to aero so thats true. what exactly are "the little bit i need" Ok I buy the turbo charger, what else would I need? and whats a trustworthy source to buy one other thank from saab?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
Unless your turbo is shot why bother?

The TD-04 wont give any more power on its own.

Buy the Stage 1 and buy the TD-04 when you need it rather than when the "sales guy" says so ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
I cant see any reason to buy the turbo if yours is fine, you can do that later on!

Stage one is the biggest performance leap! You will love it!

Which tuner (BSR,Nordic,Maptun etc) are you planning to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
I cant see any reason to buy the turbo if yours is fine, you can do that later on!

Stage one is the biggest performance leap! You will love it!

Which tuner (BSR,Nordic,Maptun etc) are you planning to use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 9-5
Unless your turbo is shot why bother?

The TD-04 wont give any more power on its own.

Buy the Stage 1 and buy the TD-04 when you need it rather than when the "sales guy" says so ;)




Ohh ok because the stage 1 only goes for about $900 so i should just go with that then. http://automotion-saabvolvo.com/motorsports/t7.htm
Pheww im getting too ahead of myself here i guess.. ok ill take this one step at a time how about I do this first because the ones i have is really bad http://eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?code=8746

then i will get this do ne before the winter http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...2c80a5187b6a4d2

What should I do next guy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
If you were to ask me, I would go with the Aero springs and anti-roll bars with the Bilstein HD's for a shock. The Bilsteins are leaps and bounds better than the stock Aero shock (Sport Chassis Shock) and don't sacrifice the ride at all, in fact, the ride could be better than stock! :eek:

Anti-roll bars: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_51&products_id=47

Springs: I'm sure you could ask for them new from www.genuinesaab.com, post in the classifieds that your looking for Aero springs, or go to a wreaking yard and grab some off a wrecked Aero. Make sure it matches your car's body style though. (Sedan or Wagon)

Bilstein HDs: www.shox.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
Stage 1 for the LPT is such a minimal increase, you'll just get a taste what the car can do and you'll immediately want more.

Within the year, you'll want to do the bigger turbo...and then you'll spend again for the programming....

As someone who has gone the slow, steady incremental upgrade route, I can vouch for the fact that you often end up spending more that way than if you just take larger bites of the apple instead of just nibbling at it.

Do as much as you can, when you can.

TD04HL-15Ts are definitely out there and you can get a decent one for about $400. With programming, you'll immeduately have Aero+ performance levels. There's no cost difference between a Stage 1 LPT tune and a Stage 2 Aero tune....That might be all you want...

But if want more down the road, you can either do a Stage 4 with the 15T, or have the 15T rebuilt with an 18T wheel. This is about the max you want to go on stock 9-5 internals..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mike saunders said:
Stage 1 for the LPT is such a minimal increase, you'll just get a taste what the car can do and you'll immediately want more.

Within the year, you'll want to do the bigger turbo...and then you'll spend again for the programming....

As someone who has gone the slow, steady incremental upgrade route, I can vouch for the fact that you often end up spending more that way than if you just take larger bites of the apple instead of just nibbling at it.

Do as much as you can, when you can.

TD04HL-15Ts are definitely out there and you can get a decent one for about $400. With programming, you'll immeduately have Aero+ performance levels. There's no cost difference between a Stage 1 LPT tune and a Stage 2 Aero tune....That might be all you want...

But if want more down the road, you can either do a Stage 4 with the 15T, or have the 15T rebuilt with an 18T wheel. This is about the max you want to go on stock 9-5 internals..
you see all these thing seem great but when im i show you guys all these things that i want to get I keep in mind that I am a partially broke who has a limited amount of money that i can spend right now i have 3k but only want to put probably half of that into my car or less if possible:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
You don't need to get everything all at once, but you can bite off big chunks at a time.

The one critical bit of HW is a downpipe, which opens the door to big gains.

Call Nick T at GenuineSaab to see how much a DP without race cat would be.

Have a $60 Catco cat welded in for not much dough, and then you can install the TD04 and get a stage 3 Aero program.

The stage 1 you're considering is only 215-220 HP, a piddly gain from the stock 170. Stage 2 for the LPT brings you up to 235ish, so essentially stock Aero levels. (You can also source a 9-5 Aero ECU, but you'd need to make sure it was a good box to begin with, and that the year was exactly the same...a headache.)

But when you intall a TD04, the Stage 1 available to you is already at 260-265 hp...that's just Stage 1....and that's even without a DP


Add the DP mentioned earlier, and you open the door even further.


Again...programming costs the same regardless of stage, so the real issue is what hardware to get to support the desired power levels.

The TD04 swap is extremely popular for a reason: it's easy, cheap and effective...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
mike saunders said:
The TD04 swap is extremely popular for a reason: it's easy, cheap and effective...
But its not cheap unless you need a new turbo or can sell your Garrett and make some money back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Interesting thing with the 2.3 is that it would cost you $2000+ for a stage 3 kit from say Maptun. For around $1000 you could have a stage 1 Aero tune (if you put a TD04 on). So if you could get a TD04 fitted for less than $1000 then you would have a more powerful car as a stage 1 Aero is slightly more powerful than a stage 3 lpt.

Interesting........;)
P
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top