SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm getting very sick of a squeaking that happens on my car on what seems to be random, but occurs more on moist days. Even if I garage my car, the car will start the next morning, and something on the belt is squeaking badly, and I HATE IT.

For about 3 days I had an idler pully rattle like it had a bad bearing, but I put some lubricant on it and it went away and hasn't come back since. I just hit 100,000 miles on the clock, is it possible that mine has worn out already and is slipping on pully's? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same problem, just started. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm driving 6hrs tomorrow, is it something I should look more into before driving that far or is it a lube fix like Sector's solution?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2WhiteSaabs said:
Same problem, just started. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm driving 6hrs tomorrow, is it something I should look more into before driving that far or is it a lube fix like Sector's solution?
I've realized that it's definately something ON the belt that's causing the squeek, like oil or something because it squeaks once per revolution of the belt or so. I know I have a leaky oil pressure sensor, but I'm still not sure if that could leak onto the belt from it's location. I'm going to have a look around to see what I can find sometime in the near future, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm having a similar problem too with my car. It's been going on ever since this past summer. I had my Serp belt replaced back then, and I think a few weeks or soon after that is when the squeaking started. Sounds like an obvious answer... but my mechanic says that the belt couldn't be lose because it can't be adjusted. He said the sound might be a vacuum leak... but it's the belt, I know it is. I will post a video clip w/ sound to help show my problem. I hope to get this thing taken care of !!

*I have put belt dressing on, but it seems to make the sound louder. Also, the sound usually minimizes after 10 or 15 minutes of driving/warming up.

EDIT:: Here is a video clip w/ sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d_ffADWpt4c

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MELLO-DEE said:
I'm having a similar problem too with my car. It's been going on ever since this past summer. I had my Serp belt replaced back then, and I think a few weeks or soon after that is when the squeaking started. Sounds like an obvious answer... but my mechanic says that the belt couldn't be lose because it can't be adjusted. He said the sound might be a vacuum leak... but it's the belt, I know it is. I will post a video clip w/ sound to help show my problem. I hope to get this thing taken care of !!

*I have put belt dressing on, but it seems to make the sound louder. Also, the sound usually minimizes after 10 or 15 minutes of driving/warming up.

EDIT:: Here is a video clip w/ sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d_ffADWpt4c
Yours definately sounds like a pulley is going out. Mine doesn't sound exactly like that, mine seems to only squeak once per revolution. Ask him if he replaced your tensioner pulley when he did the belt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmm, I will have to ask about it. It hasn't really seemed to be getting louder since it first started. He said he would only really worry if it was getting louder as time goes on. But I think it's time for it to stop. Hopefully it won't snap or something after I say this..

·
Registered
263 Posts
i have a little squeak and im 99% sure its from oil since i have a very little leak from the oil pan on that side...thats just my idea...but im gonna replace the belt and pulley bc i doubt its been done on my car...ever:confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9-5Aero22 said:
i have a little squeak and im 99% sure its from oil since i have a very little leak from the oil pan on that side...thats just my idea...but im gonna replace the belt and pulley bc i doubt its been done on my car...ever:confused:
Do you know for sure it's from the oil pan? There is an oil pressure sensor on that side that tends to leak. I also thought that it could be that, but had never heard of it happening before.

·
Registered
263 Posts
well i know the pan leaks slightly...i cleaned that side of the motor off and after a days of driving, you could see oil seeping out slowly...and the crank pulley is right there too so its very probable in my opinion...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha, well I looked in my engine bay and it seems to be coming from my idler pully, so I guess I'll just have to try replacing that and see if it works.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you tried anti-belt squeak spray, it is in the automotive section. I think I saw it Wally world. Maybye worth a try. I have used it on another car I had with a squeaky belt and it did work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts