SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? Is it as good as they describe it to be? I can't see spending $450 on one. I prefer not to drill holes either, which I saw some cheaper ones on ebay, but they said you have to drill. Any places to check that I can look for used ones?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Even with the OEM ones you have to drill!
Yes apparently they work according to a friend of mine who bought one; so I'll be buying one this summer.

The one he got was on ebay and was $50. By the way my friend works at a SAAB dealership in NY so if he tells me it works I trust his opinion.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine doesn't need a mounting kit. So I thought that meant I didn't have to drill. I may just try the $50 one on ebay. I guess the worst is I'm out $50 not $450. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
i've been in my father's 9-3 with the oem deflector at 90mph with the top down and windows up, and it's like being in a coupe with the sunroof open. it really does get rid of a lot of extra airflow.

the oem deflector and versions similar to it require a mounting kit since there are pins that fit into mounting holes in the rear interior panels. there is an aftermarket version that simply uses some sort of hook and strap system to avoid needing a mounting kit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I know I definitely want one. Not sure if I should get the Windblokker or cough up the dough for the oem. :eek:

·
Registered
997 Posts
They all need a mounting kit, even OEM, I think it just came standard in 2002-3. They are the two extra holes below the lights for the rear seats. See if you have the mounts installed already. The drilling is nothing hard and is extremely simple, took me 15 minutes to install. I picked mine up ~3 years ago for $100 off of cl. It definitely gives about another 10 degrees (so around 50-60 degrees comfortably). I haven't been using it recently in CA but in PA I would throw it up constantly in the fall and spring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They all need a mounting kit, even OEM, I think it just came standard in 2002-3. They are the two extra holes below the lights for the rear seats. See if you have the mounts installed already. The drilling is nothing hard and is extremely simple, took me 15 minutes to install. I picked mine up ~3 years ago for $100 off of cl. It definitely gives about another 10 degrees (so around 50-60 degrees comfortably). I haven't been using it recently in CA but in PA I would throw it up constantly in the fall and spring.

I do have two extra holes under the rear seat lights. Which one did you get? Where do you drill?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That link was very helpful! I have the holes. I don't know if youre talking about a different mount.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Those are the mounts I have (on page 3 with a big red dot). I drilled a hole and put those mounts into it (using the templates on page 4 & 5). All the windscreens use the same sort of mounting (unless they are a different design). It's a saab mounting kit, which can be ordered at any dealership. What is your concern? if your car has the mounts, you are golden (I'm pretty sure they became standard in 2002-2003). Just find a windscreen (probably the $50 ebay one will work, if it looks the same). I'm amazed it took someone this long to start producing them cheaply because 2 years ago a used one was the cheapest route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Windblokker-Saab-900-9-3-Windscreen-Windblocker-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bc5ea724QQitemZ110534502180QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

eBay one ...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was concerned because the windblokker on eBay says drilling required. I messaged them to see what has to be drilled. If I already have the mount then what has to be drilled? So that is my main concern. Sounds like big work fine so that's not a huge issue. I'm just excited to get one! Driving in October with the top down would be awesome!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the ebay wind deflector. I had to get the mounting kit from GS for something like $25. The directions are really easy to follow and it will work so long as you measure twice and take your time.
Basically, you locate a spot on both sides to drill a hole and then fill it with the factory mounting slots.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Logically, the supplier made the wind deflector to install on the car using the OEM installation kit. Besides, the supplier doesn't provide you with the installation kit which means the required kit is to be purchased separately from the dealer. It's always best to check with the seller but he'd be really dumb if makes a kit that won't fit the standard fittings made by the manufacturer!

Since you seem to have the installation kit as a standard feature, the installation should be breeze and shouldn't require any drilling

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the cheaper one on ebay today. So excited to get it! Being a girl, I certainly would appreciate less wind in the cabin! Haha! I have been getting by with a hat though.:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, OEM and other windscreens are such a pain in the neck to install. I just went on eBay and bought a windscreen from Windblox for $100. It works just as good as OEM, but straps on. I was a bit skeptical it would vibrate at higher speeds, but 128.9MPH and it still hold fast. :) Anyway, just another option for ya!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yeah, OEM and other windscreens are such a pain in the neck to install. I just went on eBay and bought a windscreen from Windblox for $100. It works just as good as OEM, but straps on. I was a bit skeptical it would vibrate at higher speeds, but 128.9MPH and it still hold fast. :) Anyway, just another option for ya!
A pain to install? please explain b/c it took me a matter of 15-30 minutes to install the factory mount kit. It takes only about 5-10 seconds to put the windscreen up. So what issues do you have with the factory set up?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
A pain to install? please explain b/c it took me a matter of 15-30 minutes to install the factory mount kit. It takes only about 5-10 seconds to put the windscreen up. So what issues do you have with the factory set up?
X2 and it looks clean and sleek this way too!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just another silly question... I would imagine this contraption cuts down on wind drag. So does anyone notice better mpg when the top is down? I guess the only way to tell is do a live reading on the sid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts