SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year “serial Saab cruise organizer” Luke L. and I co-hosted a Saab Cruise thru the White Mountains of New Hampshire which culminated in the climb up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. We plan to do that again in the early fall but I’ve wanted to give the neighboring Green Mountains equal billing. So this June 19th I will be leading another New England cruise open to all Saab drivers. What I have planned is a 132 mile figure eight loop which includes the 6 major Gaps (“Yankee speak” for passes) as well as one lesser climb thru Vermont’s Green Mountains. This route is known in New England as “Six Gaps and a Gulf” and is popular with car and cycling clubs, as well as fall foliage “leaf peepers”. The start and finish is in Rochester, Vt. and the route will include the Middlebury, Lincoln and Brandon Gaps and the Granville Gulf. This is an extremely hilly route with total climbing in excess of 11,500 feet and sections on some of the grades exceeding 25%. Your car should be in good condition. Particular attention should be paid to make sure your brakes, clutch and cooling system are in good working order. A few short sections of the route are unpaved. Pace will be unhurried with stops to enjoy the vistas from several of the gap summits and to let your brakes and clutch cool off! Stops at general stores in the valleys are also planned. These are New England back roads and depending on turnout we may need to break up into smaller groups to avoid congestion on the road and at scenic areas. There will be an opportunity for the entire group to meet for a meal and group photo at the end of the day. I realize many people will have travel a distance to get to Rochester. As the date gets closer more information will be given about various convoy rendezvous locations & times, as well as info on possible hotel or camping accommodations.

I think these links don't violate forum guidelines.

You can visit the Face Book Event page for more information:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196296467059939

If you have not been on one of our cruises this video of last year's quickly thrown together "Saabs on the Summit" (Mt. Washington) should give you an idea.
http://www.vimeo.com/15824409

Jim C.

·
Registered
88 Posts
whats the roster looking like so far? It'd be nice if i had someone to cruise up there with coming from the SW corner of CT

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was thinking today that this is somewhere where a stay over wouldn't be bad. i'm talking six hours just in getting there and back at least. Maybe have to bring a second driver.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Interesting.. I should be able to make this one. Sounds pretty cool.

EDIT: However my only issue though is the section about the "unpaved roads".. My car is lowered and not sure if its a good idea to bring it depending on that terrain.

Never mind. Just looked at that video. Seems like a couple of cars there are just as low or close to my height so I'm good to go lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This post really makes me miss the VT mountains! I've taken my previous Saab ('88 9000T) through Lincoln Gap (and others) many times - now it's a bit of a drive for me ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Count me in, ;ol; though it's not much a drive from my doorstep. Beautiful scenery, and if weather cooperates, top down through the gaps is great fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know we have at least 8 cars going from the initial Facebook invite list. Don't think any of the posters here are from that list. So given the time we have to get the word out it wouldn't surprise me to get 20+ if it's a good weekend.

I wouldn't worry about the unpaved section. It's less than a mile of packed gravel and likely in better shape than some of the paved road we will be on. We had some low slung Viggens do Mt. Washington with no issues. I'm leaving my Sonett at home but because of the brakes (or lack thereof) :eek:, not the road clearance. I'll be doing a recon run a few weeks before and will report back.

I'm going to lead convoy up from my home just north of Worcester, Ma. It's about 3.5 hours from there to Rochester. Tack on a good 3 hours for the cruise and then the drive home and it's admittadly a long day. People could look into staying over. Not much in the Rochester area but White River Junction has hotels about 30 minutes away. There is also a nice camping area in Gaysville right near the rally point.

Thanks for everyone's interest so far.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'd like to say count me in, it's a 3 hour drive from my house to rochester and it would kind suck doing the drive alone

Tentatively add me to the roster, it sounds like fun and I've actually never been to Mt Washington and I've lived an hour away my whole life, maybe I can meet up with some people to do the drive up to rochester.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had people from Portland do the Mt. Washington cruise. I'll keep you posted if we get anybody from the ME/NH seacoast expressing interest in Six Gaps. And we should have a date for Mt. Washington set by early July.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We had people from Portland do the Mt. Washington cruise. I'll keep you posted if we get anybody from the ME/NH seacoast expressing interest in Six Gaps. And we should have a date for Mt. Washington set by early July.
alright cool, ya idk if i could do 3 hours each way then a drive around on top of that, thinkin it might be a little too much

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
>>Drive time for the loop<<
I'll probably be doing a dry run in mid May and know better then, but since it's 132 miles I'd allow at almost 3.5 hours with stops. Some stretches are 55MPH, but they are the exception. There are a few options to bail out early as it's series of non-repeating loops. You would miss just the last two Gaps. You can see a map at the link below

http://www.northeastcycling.com/six_gaps_2007_files/six_gaps_map.pdf

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
well its been a long 5 years away from here. i'm finally back and id be def interested in this. Also living in the south shore of mass id like to meet up with a few guys for the cruise. New ride is a 2000 viggen 4dr silver. ( big plans for her )
Hey I live in the south shore and that would be awesome if I could drive up with someone else as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey I live in the south shore and that would be awesome if I could drive up with someone else as well.
I too like mels, am keeping an eye on the thread. I'd be comming from the center of CT, so if mels is comming we can meet up. Then Saabman and nastysaab can also meet up, and all 4 of us could cruise up. Noslo also mentioned he might be interested in going, so that might be 5 of us from CT and Mass. Still a long time to go, but it'd be pretty cool to have a good turnout eh? ;ol;

1 - 20 of 51 Posts