SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i am new to DYI.. i never had the right tools (all i had was a 50-piece tool box), anyways... i have done small things like replace the filters, change fog light and such.
So this last weekend, a 3-day week end, a bunch of friends were heading up to Vermont, but i decided to work on my car instead.
My tasks ?
- Change brake pads
- Paing wheel hub cap
- Change fuel filter
- Replace serpentine belt & idler pulley

So i went out a bought jacks and other stuff, started to out to work...
took the front wheel out.. was going to change the pads first.. and guess what.. i didnt have a 7mm hex bit ;oops: , there was no way i was going to put the wheel back to get to a shop.. i thats gonna have to wait..

Next in my list.. paint hub caps, old ones there faded.. no complaints here, this went well.

Replace drive belt.. took the splash guard out, took out the intake assembly, when i got to the tensioner, it didnt look anything like what i have seen here, got some help managed to release it. But the belt wouldnt come off.. here is that story...
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112035
Yep.. its different for the 2.5 V6 and i didnt know that. Hey i got the change the idler pulley !!!.. still running on the old belt though.

Moving along..
Change fuel filter... spent more that 2 hours... and heres what happened..
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112111

.. i know i am just getting into DIY.. so this is a learning phase right.
I do want to thank everyone here for all the help, thanks guys.

Whats next.. well lot of this, my oil pan is leaking, my shocks are bad, real bad, thinking of doing the rear ones myself, after i prep myself ofcourse.

Thanks again :)

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
Well, i am new to DYI.. i never had the right tools (all i had was a 50-piece tool box), anyways... i have done small things like replace the filters, change fog light and such.

Moving along..
Change fuel filter... spent more that 2 hours... and heres what happened..
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112111
First time I did my fuel filter that stinkin' banjo bolt was stuck solid. I cut the fuel line directly above the barb so I could remove the filter from beneath the car. I had to use an impact wrench on it to bust that stinkin' bolt free. I expanded the cut fuel line opening a little bit with a hole punch and then a couple of drifts. It took some time but I was able to push the banjo fitting back into the fuel line. It has never leaked, so I guess it worked.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
That 100K maintenance list is becoming longer and more comprehensive.

The filters should be serviced every 60K not because of possible clogging but due to corrosion and seizure .
If left unattended/unserviced for 120K miles, an easy task becomes a federal case.
And this is a lousy place for a filter...It should be in the engine compartment where it is protected from the elements.

The fuel filter annual maintenance would consist of treating rust with POR15 and breaking loose the connections and retightening..I think...
Maybe better is changing the filter every three years regardless of mileage..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts