SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son went to a car show alittle while back and came home with a hand full of saab brocures and in the brocure for the 9-5 aero it states that it has vented discs all round, is this true? and are they a direct replacement to the non vented disc fitted to the early 9-5 I.E will they fit my 98 9-3 which i believe are the same.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would believe this to be so. My stock 2002 ARC has vented disks on the back. I think only the Aero and ARC get the vented disks all around.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Just reading an MY99-00 manual, it mentions all cars having vented front discs and solid rears. It also mentions the 308mm discs on the front of the Aero, but no mention of vented rears. I'm just wondering if the vented rears were introduced for the facelifted MY02 model. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Vented are the double skinned ones

This one is "vented" + "grooved" + "drlled"

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
To fit the 300mm Vented rear brakes from the 02- 9-5 Aero / Diesel to a 900 9-3 97-02 you need the calipers, rotors and custom lines. I put them on my Viggen over a year ago. Here are some photos. Since the rotor thickness is more than the standard 9-5 00-05 the calipers are differrent. If you can mix caliper parts there are 2 piston sizes possible.;) For the 94-96 900 you also need the Ebrake/caliper mount assy.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Top Post!

Thanks Nick ;)

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's really good to see you on board the forum, Nick!

Over the years, I have followed your advice about my 9000 Aero, and everything you ever told me and sold me turned out to be exactly right every time.

if you could ever spare a moment for the 9000 forum....

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I see little point in bothering to upgrade to vented rear brakes. I just ran the **** out of my car and at the end I could feel massive radiating from the front rotors but not nearly as much from the rear. It just doesn't seem necesary to vent them. As for the size difference, we're talking about 20 mm here, not that big a deal. I can kick the back end out under hard braking as it is, and I have crappy, stock pads.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Thats because the front brakes do 70% of the work..some people complained about the Aero's stopping power, which is presumably why Saab changed the rears to vented jobbies on later models.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if the rears do not do as much work as they could do then the fronts work much harder, and 20mm extra on the diameter is a big deal, the extra braking you get from that is hugh. :lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
True but the brake balance might be upset?

I will definately upgrade the fronts further,m the backs are fine with fast road pads, I might get grooved rear discs one day but thats cos I'm a tart :p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
boxman said:
if the rears do not do as much work as they could do then the fronts work much harder, and 20mm extra on the diameter is a big deal, the extra braking you get from that is hugh. :lol:
Bu if I can already kick out the back under braking, why does it need to grab better? Whoever was complaining about the stopping power needed an aero, these brakes'll rip your face off.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
True but the brake balance might be upset?
this is true, this is why i asked the origional question, i am in the proccess of putting together the parts to fit viggen front brakes to my 9-3 se so am thinking of uprating the rears after :lol: as i would think the ballance will be out after just fitting bigger fronts and leaving the rears standard

Raven18940 said:
Bu if I can already kick out the back under braking, why does it need to grab better?
i guess it doesnt, but, as i have just said, i'm uprating the front of my 9-3 and want to follow up with the rears next, vented rears sound like a good idea :lol:

which leads me to another question, if the later 9-5 aero have vented rears, are the fronts bigger than the early aero too then ?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats interesting, that must mean the vented rears are only differant in the fact that they are vented and add no extra brake affect, else the ballance would be thrown out woudnt it? :roll:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The bigger rear rotors also have larger rear caliper bores (38mm vs 40mm) along with the extra leverage from the larger diameter (278mm vs 300mm). Both use the same pad so that is not a factor. The upgrade is certainly not for everyone. Those that have killed the factory Viggen/Aero parts with sport pads will understand the need.

On my Viggen the ABS seems to be able to control lockup at low speeds. The biggest effect is braking hard from high speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts