SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a synapse synchronic blow off valve set to recirculate. they have developed a kit called an anti stall and claim it can vent to atmosphere, noise and all, for our cars. we shall see soon ;ol;

·
Registered
708 Posts
Cool. Let us know how it turns out. Interested in a sound clip if possible.

I still have an HKS SSQV with recirc attachments sitting on my workbench... haven't posted it for sale yet... just sayin.... :cheesy:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Won't work for the follwong reason:

Anti-stall only prevents
the engine from taking in unmetered air through the BOV when the intake
manifold is under vacuum. There will be conditions where the turbo may be
producing boost at very low throttle positions and air will be discharged
Teh problem for T7 is it measure ALL the air delivered and if any is lost ( vented) it throws a code. its not from any unmetered EXTRA air sucked in under vacuum..

But give it a shot ... who knows

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a very good point. If you had mentioned that before I purchased the kit, I would've definitely reconsidered. BUT, luckily for the sake of science, I have already purchased it, (only 40$ and can be returned) and we shall hopefully get awesome results.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
before installing the anti stall, picked up a P1060 map/baro code. this was WHEN the car was recirculating properly. no vacuum leaks. code caused by not having the sensor on the charge pipe installed. I installed that sensor in a different location and I'm not sure how well its working :confused: it has thrown the code twice more but disappeared with restarting the car. (while recirculating) once the kit was installed, no code for 2 days. then the p1060. cleared and hasn't returned in over 100 miles. I think the sensor is unfortunately going to have to be moved. but as for the venting, no hiccups, gasping or cutoff. no standard signs of a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
before installing the anti stall, picked up a P1060 map/baro code. this was WHEN the car was recirculating properly. no vacuum leaks. code caused by not having the sensor on the charge pipe installed. I installed that sensor in a different location and I'm not sure how well its working :confused: it has thrown the code twice more but disappeared with restarting the car. (while recirculating) once the kit was installed, no code for 2 days. then the p1060. cleared and hasn't returned in over 100 miles. I think the sensor is unfortunately going to have to be moved. but as for the venting, no hiccups, gasping or cutoff. no standard signs of a vacuum leak.
Just to chime in:

As far as I know the MAP sensor in these cars is located directly into the intake manifold. Facing the engine, after removing the little plastic engine cover, it should be on the upper-left (passengers) side of the top of the manifold. Seems like that sensor would be throwing the code you are getting.

The sensor in the delivery pipe, that screws in with the Bosch connector is an air intake temp sensor.

Just suggesting that your current Air intake temp placement probably has little to do with your MAP code; Especially when you said it was occurring with the sensor installed along the intake tract somewhere.

Otherwise thanks for the updates. I personally have little interest in having a BOV(sound) in that fashion, but I appreciate the testing and reporting back of what works and what doesn't. It is a most commonly asked question, as you can imagine. Now we have a thread, or future data will tell us if we have a thread, that we can point to, and be done with the question once and for all! MUahaha. :lol:

Cheers,
Benjamin

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers for sure

i replaced the MAP sensor with a new unit. Did not fix the code unfortunately. Threw it again today.

The car went back under the knife to get the front valve cover welded with a custom oil cap and breather fitting.

Remember this is the v6.

When I purchased the valve, it was recirculating, but the anti stall kit is what gave it the ability to run to atmosphere. At first I was after the sound, but the valves adjustability is amazing. I have it set to the fastest response time and it works awesome with the hybrid turbo I'm running. The anti stall made the throttle response time ridiculously fast.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As mention before blowing off is not recommend, since the mass airflow is before blow-off/recirculate valve. Therfore your venting all that air, thats has already been mettered, and the ecu thinks is is in the system.

What is the reason for this upgrade? is it just a sound thing? or are you worried about back pressure on the turbine. Keep in mind the v6 has a tiny turbo and dose not make much boost.

I just removed the air box, and that made huge difference in what you can hear. If that is what you are going for, maybe give that a go

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the anti stall kit negates the reading of metered air release issues. The throw off of the sensor is not the loss of air when venting, it is the intake of any air through the blow off due to vacuum. the air entering the blow off valve is UNmetered and that is what causes the MAF error. The kit seals the valve at all times when there is no air being pushed out of the system. this prevents any unmetered entry.

I did this install for a few reasons:
1. All the tock pipe came out with the FMIC install, now the car has 2.5" aluminum pipe for the charge piping and a 3" intake. Since the sock valve was no longer fit-able, I purchased a HKS SSQV2 with the recirculation. The valve did not function properly and was causing massive surge. so I bought a Synapse Engineering Synchronic BOV with the recirculation fitting.

2. The boost on this car is not stock. I did not expect an increase when I constructed the hybrid turbo. It uses the Garrett GT1549 exhaust side which is stock to the 3.0 v6, but the compressor side (wheel, housing, backplate) is off of a gt1752 which is the stock turbo on the 4 cylinder lpt. Stock the boost sat at around .4 BAR. Now its at .8-.9 BAR.

So far nothing but the faulty MAP code. no MAF codes. But this was happening before and after the mods. So I don't think this mod is throwing any codes. I have noticed an incredible increase in throttle response and zero surge. also no leaks whatsoever.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for pics of the build, check out the album in my profile. Im going to update pictures when I get the welded valve cover back and installed. ALSO, no video yet had a camera error, lol. turns out it won't work if the memory card is full...who would've guessed. Apparently not me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
you have your v6 running almost 13 psi! Thats awesome, and also something I would very much want to do. If my turbo ever dies again I will be asking you for advice. Also I need to go check out that album :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@brian. Yep its awesome. I might actually vent some boost depending on how much power I make. I have heard many times our transmission is the weak link and I can't risk it. If you are interested, id be willing to build you a hybrid for cheap.

@jets: it was a universal 2.5" pipe kit. Just 4 90 degree bends with one long side. Then used a 45 degree pre welded his flange pipe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you have a thread documenting your work? Where did you get the idea to use a gt17 with the stock gt15? Have you done any work on remapping your ecu, to let it enjoy that extra air? To help controll your boost have you thought about adding an external waste gate?
Its to bad the photos in the album look like they came from a cell phone camera. I know there are a few v6 owners who might be interested in more detail of this project.

Yeah i know that's a lot of question.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when, god willing, i have a spare day I'm going to take detailed high quality photos and write a novel of a thread on my build. I have literally spent 25 hours a day between work, school and the car, so real time documenting to the forum wasn't really feasible.

The idea came from user N.E. Swede. He built one but as far as I know never got the chance to install it.

The ecu is a JZW stage 3. depending on the info form the open SSID and a dyno coming soon, I may need him to make a custom stage 4

I thought about the waste gate and finally decided against it. the turbine should actually be rotating slightly slower than stock because of the added size on the compressor side. its the increase of flow and less restrictive parts that added boost. Being that the turbo is still running base boost, there is no need for an external waste gate.

Like I said, more to come hopefully really soon.

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
sobstory95
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing