SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be replacing my valve cover gasket this weekend, as I've noticed oil seeping at one of the half-moons for some time now. I found some good pictorial guides elsewhere on here, but none specific to my generation 9-3 so I had a few questions.

What are the torque specs for the valve cover screws, and what sequence should they be tightened in? Should the new gasket be installed dry? I'll be replacing the plugs too, how much torque for those? Any other gotchas I need to be aware of before I start on it?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
I don't think most of us follow any torque specifications for the valve cover. Get the bolts comfortably snug with a small ratchet and it will seal fine. The bolts tend to work themselves loose over time, and chances are a few of your bolts right now are so loose you could turn them by hand. The gasket usually is put in dry, but you'll need a little sealant, like the black RTV silicone they sell at auto parts stores, to stick the gasket to the valve cover. Otherwise it will fall out every time you flip the valve cover over and you'll be cursing yourself for hours trying to get it in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts