SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took off my valve cover hoping to identify the cause of a knocking sound I'm having. Everything looks good and clean, so the culprit isn't under there.

What I would like to know is:
1. Do I need a new valve cover gasket or can i reuse the old one?

2. When putting it all together do I need to use a sealent with the gasket, or is the gasket all that is needed? I have Loctite 518 if so. (Same stuff for the oil pan) Would that be alright to use?

I searched valve cover gasket and didn't find what I need. If it's out there a link would be good as well.

Thank You all.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Whether you need a new Cylinder Head Gasket depends on how old your current on is. If the current one only has a few thousand miles on it and is in perfect condition, I don't see the problem in re-using it. On the other hand, if you've never changed it, then yes, you need a new gasket. Remember it's like a big rubber band, and rubber shrinks and gets brittle over time. I had a hard time getting my Gasket back on and ended up pinching it, which severs it like an earthworm, so in the end, I used the "Dental Floss" method (with a new gasket), to tie everything in place and that seemed to hold it in while positioning the valve cover. I also used some 518 in the corners, but the 518 didn't hold the gasket in place. Some of my friends here were telling me that the valve cover has "tangs" built in it, to in effect hold the gasket in place on the cover so that when you flip it over it stays in place, mine sure wouldn't hold the gasket in place. I don't believe that any of the service manuals out there recommend putting any sealant of any kind on the cylinder head gasket. As far as your knocking sound goes, I wonder if it isn't a lifter that's gummed up...running an Amsoil flush and using a thinner oil like 0W-30 Full Synthetic might solve that problem.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I recently changed mine after putting the new one on I had an oil leak from the plug (where the distributor cap used to be). The first gasket was an Scan Tech (a piece of crap) I had a hard time as well keeping it in place. After I reused the gasket I found another leak on the front side of the cover. I recently replaced it with an ElRing gasket; much better fit stayed in place pretty well. I did line the cover with a thin coat of Loctite 518 to be sure I got no leaks so far so good. I would reccomend changing the gasket the better the quality gasket the better the fit; using the 518 is just amatter of choice it won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I just recently replaced a valve cover gasket and ran into the painful situation of that stinkin' thing falling out everytime I flipped it over, so....

I cleaned up the trench where the gasket sits on the valve cover and used a few small dabs of super glue to hold it in place and it worked perfectly. I used the super glue gel which worked well and placed it in all the curves and other locations and it held it great!

Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the awesome info, hints, and tips. I really appreciate it.

P.S. PhotoUSA: Where does the tube go that plugs into the 90 degree bend above the throttle body?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts