SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of mods or ideas they have done to their breather hose that connects to the intake hose. Mine is on its last legs and I want to try to see what have others done to it. I've heard about connecting a canister to it and plugging the other side. Or, just let it dangle of the side. Another thing I heard you can do is buy the 9000 version for around 100 bucks, but being a college student with low cash, that's my last option. I've done a few searches on the topic and did find some useful ideas. But I need more info.

Thanks guys

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Can't you just replace the original hose with something new. That's what I'd do.

On my track car I have a tube connected which points down at the ground. The previous owner did this mod and I've not found any reason not to leave it this way.

One of the reasons for an oil breather system is to stop sludge building up in the oil system. Does not seem to happen on the 900 though. Can't see the point in modifying it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my track car I have a tube connected which points down at the ground.
It's that simple? It doesn't hurt performance or such? I'd figure there would be some kind of vacuum lost, since its no longer a closed system. Or am i over-thinking it?

If it's that simple then i will definitely do that.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Note, I am not suggesting you copy what the previous owner did for crank case breather on my track car. :nono;

All I can tell you is that it seems to be ok.

What I think you 'should' do is replace the broken hose.

If something happens to the engine on my track car then we put that down to bad luck and swap it for another one. For a road car you might take better care.

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
completely overthingking it; look locally, I am sure you have a hose building shop that has been in business for decades; have something similiar replace it or get a brass mender and fit it back together. I dont believe you need to get all Mcgyver on this one...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I think you 'should' do is replace the broken hose
I would like to replace the hose, but this is also the same hose that has the coolant line in it. And from looking at it, i would need to take off the intake manifold and even the fuel rail just to make sure this goes smoothly. And speaking of the coolant line, is there fluid in it constantly, or just when its cold?

I am sure you have a hose building shop that has been in business for decades
I will see what it's around.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm away from home and from my Saabs now so I can't give you exact details, but as I recall, the fat hose from the valve cover to the intake manifold is expensive since it is diffierent sizes at each end. I fixed it by buying an oil resistant hose at the local auto parts store with and I.D. of the large end. Coincidentally the O.D. hose demension of the hose for the smaller end fit perfecting inside the larger hose I.D. thus serving as a step down bushing to the connector on the valve cover. I put a gently tightened hose clamp on it at the valve cover and it works fine. Hope this helps.

The small diameter hose with the check valve is standard oil resistent vacuum hose. You can use a generic check valve. Just make sure you install it with the flow towards the intake.

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
I will see what it's around.
We have Amazon Hoses here; company has been around since the bgining of time. I had them rebuild my AC hoses to very much success and at a fraction of the cost of new. I go there 1st before i buy any hose for my Saab; they have never failed to put somthing together that works as good as OEM. and you do not need to take the manifold OR fuiel rail off to get that hose out; work smart my friend not hard. That hos is only attached by clamps to other hoses; remove the clamps and the hose should move out no problem. It is a discontinued hose IIRC, you should have much problem building off of whats left of the hose.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! I did the replacement of the hose, which took several hours, 2 albums of zeppelin and a case of blue moon. :cool: I bought 2 feet of 1/2 id hose and a foot of 1 inch id hose, along with some corks/rubber stoppers to plug the coolant lines. The hardest part was not breaking the gromment of intake housing and anything else while pulling out the old hose. The rest was pretty easy. The car now runs like a dream and no more weird idles or noises. Cheeers mates!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The hose on the 9000 is actually the same. If you look at it carefully you'll see what I mean. There is more chance of finding a good one at the Pickapart if you head for a 9000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts