SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What is the valve body model number for 2007 93 sedan 2.8L? I'm trying to look it up on ebay/amazon, and I find a few different ones (which ebay claims they all fit...).

2) Who could install it in MA area? I hear typically it's 3 hrs of labor and some tech2.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely the FA57 5 speed gearbox or AF40 6 speed (less likley?)
Check the plate on the gearbox or enter VIN at www.thesaabsite.com.
Then EPC for part numbers....93185091 is the part number for the 5 speed
I should mention it's an automatic. I looked up the part by the VIN like you suggested, and seem to have AF40, FD 3.20 (what's FD 3.20?) Are there different AF40's out that could differ based on the year/VIN number? Where it describes my gearbox it mentions that it's "code A".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I do not trust "official gm parts list".
I trust Saab (ORIO).
I agree with you that it's safer, but from reading some earlier threads I get that the part was "updated".

Also, what do you make of this? Looks like a SAAB site: 93183641 by OES | Valve Body (AF40)
It has both numbers listed, but says that the 19256634 was superseded. Either way it's supposed to work I'm hoping?

Any idea if this could be swapped without the tech2 tool? Would it just take extra time to relearn?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Or on Ebay

Thanks, I saw these units on ebay, my only concern is that they are shipped from the UK and might be a pain to return if something goes wrong. This is around the price I like, however, and I saw 19256634 units for around $600

I called this company a few months ago and they said they bought a bunch on NOS from GM
This is the best so far, remanned unit for under $700! What's NOS btw?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOS=NEW OLD STOCK
What's wrong with your VB
Might be a sticky solenoid, from reading other threads. In stop and go traffic it starts to rev and bang, and it's been getting worse. I saw a gearbox malfunction message a couple of times as well. Do these get stored somewhere? I wonder if it could be pulled up to diagnose which solenoid is the problem - but then again, the price to rebuild vs the price of this new valve body swap is similar.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have 2006 9-3 with an AW55-51SN and I recently installed 3 new linear solenoids on my valve body, they came as a kit. I don't recommend changing them out if you can afford a new or remanufactured valve body because the problem is you don't know if your issue is being caused by the solenoids themselves or a worn valve body (or both) until you spend the money and time removing them and installing new ones. If your valve body turns out to be worn like mine, you'll then spend time and money calibrating whichever solenoid is responsible. When the spread is several hundred dollars, your time might be worth more.

And yes, you need a Tech 2 to clear the transmission adaptation tables. According to the WIS, you also need to follow relearn instructions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts