SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible -- red body, black top, tan leather interior with an automatic transmission. The car is nearly showroom new with only 9,800 original miles (with the original tires). It has also never been driven in the rain.

My question is: what is the retail value of this car?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
With that kind of milage it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay... could vary wildly. It surely isn't worthless.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would guess it'd be somewhere in the neighborhood of MAYBE $7,000 to $10,000.
I've seen more than a handful of 1990 3 doors with between 85,000 and 95,000 miles get sold for $5,000.
Being a convertible with a tenth of the mileage makes it a bit more valuable, to say the least.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The only downside would be the automatic transmission...

I think you could ask atleast $10,000 for it. Find the classiest and most prestigous Saab dealer in your country and tell them what you've got, they would be the most interested I'd think.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Post an ad on saabnet for $13k, see what the best offer is, and take it! I wouldn't expect less than $6k, that really is a one of a kind thing you have there.

Oh, by the way, you absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, indisputably, undeniably, for the sake of all that is good and holy, MUST POST PICS!!!!! :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
ill give ya 5 bucks :lol: seriously that would go for around 10-12 grand around me...and as stated the only holdup would be the autobox. i would love to see pics of it :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
The auto isn't that big of a downer, because of how easy it is to swap in a five speed if or when the auto dies.
Those $5K 3 doors were all autos, too.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
One on ebay in a similar situation was getting bids North of $13,000.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Saab-900-Turbo-Conv-1988-Classic-Convertible-SHOWROOM-CONDITION-19k-miles_W0QQitemZ180177873472QQihZ008QQcategoryZ6383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would say the car could get $15,000 on a good day.

THe Automagic transmission is a value reduction for the most part; however, some people do prefer it.

I have a fairly damm good condition 900 convertible too and have had offers north of $6,000 off the streets. No, I'm not selling it:cool:

1987 is the first year of the COnvertible in full blown production, some people might see this as attractive. Some might see an oil cooled turbo, poorer brakes, and older style trans as a weak spot.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah as for age I would look at 1986 models and 1994 models and then 93, 92 etc. 1987's are pretty common and not really as good as the later cars.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900t said:
Yeah as for age I would look at 1986 models and 1994 models and then 93, 92 etc. 1987's are pretty common and not really as good as the later cars.
1987 Seems to be a good year regarding reliable ECU. SOme argue the older style of Transmission is better. SOmewthing to do with "floating selector forks"-900t do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
900t said:
1987's are pretty common and not really as good as the later cars.
why you say that? i kinda like my front handbrake :D it's probably saved a few wheels/axles/control arms from being broken/bent

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Do you have any pics of this low milelage bugger?

We here like pics, lots and lots of detailed ones too:D

Welcome to Saab Central

Why not just keep the car too?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
A 21 year old vehicle with less than 10,000 miles on the clock should be worth quite a bit to a collector.

If you're going to try and start it you'd be well advised to replace all the fluids prior to doing so, including draining the fuel tank, cleaning the fuel pump and putting in fresh gas. Also be aware that not running an engine can invite corrosion and failed seals, plus the hydraulics (brakes) may not be in top condition, so flusing the brake system and bleeding the brakes would (in my opinion) be in order before trying to drive down the road.

I'd put a table spoon of oil down each cylinder and crank the engine over by hand a few times (no spark plugs in place) to lube the cylinder walls and mitigate any ring or bore damage due to rust.

If you start it, don't be shocked if you get leaks at the water pump and a few other seals - and whatever you do - don't try to drive it on 20 year old tires - they're likely to be flat spotted and the tread will be very hard.

Changing the accessory drive belts and hoses would be a good idea (IMHO) before taking it for a ride as well. For originality save the old belts - same goes for the original tires - or better still - get another set of wheels and leave the original tires mounted to the original wheels - that'll add value if you decide to sell the car. Same goes for plugs and wires.

The plastic fuel lines harden with age - new ones are a lot less expensive than engine fires - again - save the originals if you replace them.

Hopefully no mice got at the wiring harness or other soft parts during storage - you'll want to check the airbox (where the filter lives) for nests and such - it's also possible that mice may have made their home in your exhaust system - but you won't know that until you start it.

Very low mileage cars are a great find - but bringing them back to roadworthy condition can sometimes be more work than getting a higher mileage example into top shape - just do yourself a big favor - take your time and do it right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts