SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to PM BobSaabit but thought this might be better.

I have lots of odds and ends left over from my NG900. I'm wondering what people's experience has been in selling, or even giving away, things. Naturally, it's market dependent. I haven't seen many NG900 around Toronto in the last year or two, but there are some OG9-3 on the road. Anything that fits a Viggen is probably worth some money to some Viggen owner.

Some items I should definitely be able to sell:
  • Pair of headlights, aftermarket E-code lenses and cleaned inside and out (no engine bay deposits) and gently cleaned reflector
  • Two sets of coupé OEM roofracks, one in good condition, one with a snapped adjustment screw (but still usable by tightening with a ratchet strap)
Then there's the stuff that may be useful, but in what time frame:
  • NG900 SID 3, occasionally lost a column of pixels, but otherwise totally usable
  • Rear trunk carpet mat and parcel shelf, I was going to replace after fixing trunk leak, never fixed leak--in my experience, it's hard to find them in non-moldy, non-doggy condition these days
Then there's the stuff that is the basis of a project. It's "junk", yes, but with these cars disappearing from the junkyards, you may not be able to find cores. Like headlight wiper assemblies, lots of orange headlight "relays" (most seem to have the usual bad connector for LH high beam, but hey, you can fix that, and if it doesn't fix, try the next one, I have lots), wiper arms front and back, some instrument clusters (whole or parts)....

I have a feeling that other than the sure-sell items, I should just throw the rest in the garbage bin. It's not worth shipping any of these, and I don't really want to wait for the right local person to say "hey, I might need that".

By the way, if you are thinking that the NG900 and OG9-3 days are over, pity the poor NG9-3 with the T8 2.0, the ECUs are dying rapidly and rebuilds are either not available or not reliable. I went to the junkyard yesterday, and all NG9-3 had their ECUs pulled....

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
There's still a market but it's much thinner than it used to be. Classifieds here. Probably Ebay for more visibility, but C/L works if that's in use up there in the Great White North. If you're closer to the northern USA then there is additional market as there are a fair number of Saabs in the upper Midwest states like Michigan, etc.

You can ship, but shipping prices are way up for heavy items and all shipping is dimensional weight now (e.g., the minimum a 12x12x16 box ships for is the 17# rate even if the contents weighs 6#. So that factors into prices.

Unique stuff like the parcel shelf is higher demand from the Saabers... not so much the new crowd of "I bought it because it's a turbo, how much boost can I have!" boy racers. They don't care about the neat stuff.

PM me a part # on those headlights. I might get interested if you guys got the Euro backplates vs. the USA... and the lenses might be fun either way.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I say "parcel shelf", I mean the usual cover hooked to the tailgate that hides what's in the baggage compartment. Not glamorous stuff, but finding ones in good condition after 20 years is getting hard.

Headlights are stock assemblies with TYC lenses (made in Taiwan). The low beam isn't really any much better than the high beam, but the high beam is considerably more effective than the DOT version.

P1320992.JPG

I did miss a chance to buy actual E-code, new headlamps, back in 2014. They had some provision for the level adjustment, but I forget what might have been needed to make them work on a North American car.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
There will be a market...
Think about some super rare / getting rare items. eg: roof lid spoiler, fog lamps with the cornering lamps, that odd spoiler for verts that was like a Viggen, drink holders in the OG9-3, down to the items that no-one thinks about - eg panel screws, buttons on the dash, ashtray vs blank storage bin. Saab Scania wheel caps..

I'm after the rear speaker frames because mine have cracked, That rear organiser under the parcel shelf (now we have a metal option thanks to recent posts). the original rubber mats (RHD and finally a LHS grey 5D seat 'side' cover for memory seats.

My recent experience in locating a working CD changer was tough.

If you can part it out - via the classifieds here and via sources we can access if possible (eg ebay) it would be great.

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
Ed: is there a part # on the baskets? I will check mine later to see what they have. There's actually a difference in the hole size in the housing of the type that got the motor/adjuster unit. I was hopeful that perhaps the CA version got the larger hole with a larger adjuster. Otherwise, I need to modify mine or find a UK or Euro unit.

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
OH, and the roof racks are popular. I don't know if the coupe version can be modded to the 4-door version (I know the opposite is true), but they will still be popular.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I expect the headlights are the same as in the US. In EPC it's "CA/US" parts. I will check what they are when I get a chance.

The broken roof rack of the bad pair is the front, or common to both styles. I have two usable rear coupé racks, though one is fairly beat up.

I also have original never-used midflaps. For your Talladega 100-point restoration.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
There will be a market...
Think about some super rare / getting rare items. eg: roof lid spoiler, fog lamps with the cornering lamps, that odd spoiler for verts that was like a Viggen, drink holders in the OG9-3, down to the items that no-one thinks about - eg panel screws, buttons on the dash, ashtray vs blank storage bin. Saab Scania wheel caps..

I'm after the rear speaker frames because mine have cracked, That rear organiser under the parcel shelf (now we have a metal option thanks to recent posts). the original rubber mats (RHD and finally a LHS grey 5D seat 'side' cover for memory seats.

My recent experience in locating a working CD changer was tough.

If you can part it out - via the classifieds here and via sources we can access if possible (eg ebay) it would be great.
Did you source a CD stacker ? Since installing a new head unit I know of a good now spare

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
Mort, I've seen quite a few CD changers in 9-5s at the junkyard, which would work in a 9-3, but finding one in either car is probably harder in Australia. The NG900 uses a Clarion C-Bus changer, so finding a Saab-branded one isn't necessary for those cars. I also cracked my speaker grille frames, too. I found a decent set on a 9-3 and used those, and I've been much more careful with how tight I get the screws now.

Bob, there are definitely some differences between the US and European headlights on the back where the motors hook up. I bought a set of LHD headlights with the leveling motors from a guy in England years ago. He had bought them for occasional trips to France, but then decided that it was easier to stick on a pair of some sort of beam adjusters you can get in the UK. I have the plugs and pins to hook up the levelers, and the dashboard switch, but I've never completed the job since the fuse box doesn't have wires in it for the leveling motors and I haven't bothered to tap into another power source.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Og 9-3 and og 9-5 have same CD changer (excluding 9-5 Kenwood nav system).

·
Registered
986 Posts
I also have original never-used midflaps. For your Talladega 100-point restoration.
Ed , is that actually mudflaps ? I would be interested in those, hard to find the rears for the '99

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
Ed , is that actually mudflaps ? I would be interested in those, hard to find the rears for the '99
Ed is talking about the flaps that went under the car in front of the rear axle. Supposedly they blocked stones from getting in the rear suspension.

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
Jeremy: I have the motors and switch too, but I didn't get the rear of the headlights. Went to install them last year and found that the manual adjusters have a smaller ID into the headlight than the motorized version. No idea why they didn't make them all the same size and just have one headlight housing with manual or motorized adjusters that swapped.

I have a couple spare housings that I plan to mod. But I was thinking that if Ed's were Euro style, I might shortcut the job.

The wiring mods are easy. Low amp unused fuse tap to switch and a couple wires to the motors

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed is talking about the flaps that went under the car in front of the rear axle. Supposedly they blocked stones from getting in the rear suspension.
Correct. They also may have prevented severe damage to the brake lines once. I'll post a pic of a midflap that took one for the team when I find it.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
I had removed my '97's midflaps right after I got the car after hearing them scrape on just every speed bump and driveway apron. I threw them out, but bought another pair a couple of years later after when I realized how unique they were. I was very pleasantly surprised to find my second set in my parents' garage a few weeks ago. I still don't think I'll put them on the car, but it's nice to have them. I used to have the rear mudflaps, too. They weren't the prettiest things, but they sure kept the rear bumper a lot cleaner. I sold them when I put Viggen bumpers on the car.

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
I had removed my '97's midflaps right after I got the car after hearing them scrape on just every speed bump and driveway apron. I threw them out, but bought another pair a couple of years later after when I realized how unique they were. I was very pleasantly surprised to find my second set in my parents' garage a few weeks ago. I still don't think I'll put them on the car, but it's nice to have them. I used to have the rear mudflaps, too. They weren't the prettiest things, but they sure kept the rear bumper a lot cleaner. I sold them when I put Viggen bumpers on the car.
I'm working on a pair for my Viggen bumpers. I wanted to adapt those Saab rears to fit but it wasn't going to happen. However, I have a pair from a different car I'll eventually get to fitting - I hope.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
My understanding of the real reason (apart from bob's post above) behind those mid mudflaps was actually gravel, not snow or mud.
We had them on our family's 85 900i that we imported from the UK. I used to hate driving over speed bumps with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put spares from my 99 93 and my 92 900 on Facebook marketplace after I sold the cars (also sold one of the cars there). I only had a few "good" items and I managed to pass the rest off to the fellow who bought the good stuff.
Things went really fast.
I miss the 93 (manual).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts