SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2011 model Saab 9-3 Biopower linear, 147kw with 5 speed auto cabrio. The car only has 60,000kms on the odometer to date.

The car has been running great but a couple of months ago I decided to lower the car for a more aggressive look and sporty handling.
I've fitted H&R springs (40mm drop) with Bilstein B8 dampers front and rear. All codes match up to my car.

Two problems have emerged:

a/ A slight modulation or wobble from the left front wheel at around 20 km/h emerges and then clears itself as you increase in speed. When stuck in traffic its very annoying.
Yes, I've balanced the wheels and checked rims for any buckling, I also replaced the CV shafts with new units, thinking this was the problem.
I've also replaced the front shock absorber top bearings and mounts with new.

b/ Steering has no feedback and is very light now. It is virtually effortless to turn when at an intersection but the real safety issue is at highway speeds say 80km/h and above. The steering feels incredibly light and vague which is causing me to over correct when changing lanes, not pretty. If your not aware of the sensitivity you could easily flip the car. Its as if there's far to much play in the under carriage and it needs to be tightened down. However we have gone over this with my suspension mechanic twice and everything is torqued up correctly. Nothing is standing out as to the cause. Also let it be known the handling of the car prior to suspension mods was perfectly fine.

Does anyone have an idea whats going on here? Frustrated 9-3 owner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This actually sounds very similar to two things i have noticed with my 9-3 Aero. Standard aero springs but Bilsteins. Keen to know how you get on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This actually sounds very similar to two things i have noticed with my 9-3 Aero. Standard aero springs but Bilsteins. Keen to know how you get on.
Very interesting. Well..I'll have my mechanic(Saab Serve) review it in mid-Jan and try to figure out the cause. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also two other workshops have said that the suspension geometry of the front end has changed hence all these negative effects. However I'm optimistic, why would Bilstein release dampers for particular Saab models if this was the case, including H&R springs? and finally worldwide I'm certain there are many lowered Saab's without this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a recent four wheel alignment, and made no difference. Everything was within spec, albeit the camber was running out of adjustment on one side. It shouldn't be an issue specifically with lowered cars, as mine is on standard Aero springs. I was wondering if it were normal, but I guess not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, mine is the same. I recently put in new control arms, and it got worse. I think it is alignment related...specifically caster. More caster makes the on-center feel stronger. I don't think I have enough.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Tires may have something to do with it; they definitely do change steering feel. I replaced the 225/45-17 tires on 17x7.5 rims with 215/55-16 tires on 9-5 rims (49mm offset) for winter storage. There is a huge amount more of road feel with the narrower tires. If possible, I'd try putting on a set of 16" rims and tires and see what the road feel is like then. (Assuming the rims fit over the brakes.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
This may or may not make sense. I have and 06 Anniversary Special and I have notice that when I "jump" on the car and the front end comes up, it gets really light in the steering response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts