SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember this post from a couple months back: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171442&highlight=vacuum+pump

My problem was that there was a small leak coming from the area of the vacuum pump. I went ahead and replaced the gasket behind it, but the leak seemed worse, it even seemed like it was coming out of the seams of the pump itself, rather than from where it mates up with the engine. I took it off and sealed the seams and the mating surface with high temp rtv silicone. Still no joy, the leak seems as bad as ever.

As you'll see from the picture in the other thread that Ridenbaugh was kind enough to post, this isn't an especially challenging job.

Has anyone done this before? I could buy a fresh pump, but I hesitate because it's about $180.00, so I hate to buy one speculatively.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You can show a picture of the oil lost?

sweat of oil on the rocker cover is not very important, as not much oil is lost.

my son is waiting for me to replace the head gasket for a year but i feel in laziness and I don't Know yet the origin of the leak, oil cap seal?, rocker gasket? I have yet to be done and that is the reason why I will keep following this post.

I think it will take to the dealer, although I have to pay.

it too late; tomorrow I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I guess in terms of volume, it was pretty minor. However it dripped onto the motor mounts and made a mess. This bothered me, both aesthetically and because I don't think rubber parts like oil very much.

After taking it out and putting it back in 3 times, I solved the problem. It did seem to be leaking from the joint where the pump mated with the motor, so I replaced the gasket. However, it turned out that the pump itself had a leak.

As I said above, once I determined that the pump was the source I tried to apply some gasket sealer to the outside of the seam. This didn't work (I guess the oil prevented a good seal). I then took it apart (just 3 torx screws), cleaned up the surfaces and used permatex black oil resistant rtv gasket maker. There are some very precisely machined parts inside that will fall out if you're not careful. It works best if you put it shaft side down and lift the 'cover' off.

Anyhow, it's been fine for the past few days (knock on wood) :D I took some pictures that I'll add to the thread later. The only real challenge is you need to let the silicone dry overnight before you dare start it up, so you can't tell if it worked (or failed) until the next day.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As your results I think to take the car to the dealer with a warranty job.
I would have loved to, but I am far OOW.

Here are some shots of the pump for future reference:

First, we have the new gasket that I had hoped would fix the problem:

Next, we have the ionization module which is mounted on a bracket on the pump. It is held on by two 10mm bolts. No need to disconnect the wires - it folds out of the way easily.

Next, we see the hockey puck shaped pump lurking behind it's bracket. The vacuum hose fitting has a little button to push to disconnect it. The pump is held in place by two 13 mm bolts.

And a shot of the liberated pump from the back showing where the gasket fits and the shaft that fits into the motor.

Finally, here's a picture of the area where the pump came from. Some oil is leaking out of the motor now, but you'll notice that the hoses and thermostat fitting are also oily. This is from oil dripping out of a seam of the pump, not from a faulty gasket.

Anyhow, as I noted above, I took the pump itself apart and used RTV gasket maker to make a new seal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
question, was the oil leaking to the bottom of the transmission? i have something leaking and ive been trying for months to figure it out, i have no clue what the hell it is my transmission fluid is up to level, no idea what else to even check

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue. There seems to be oil all over the bottom of the transmission that is leaking from somewhere else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a leak also, running down the seem between engine -transmission at the back side (auto trans) I originally thought valve cover gasket or vacuum pump. I have replaced seal between vacuumpump and cyl. head, and new O-ring in vacuum pump. Cured that leak. Replaced valve cover gasket, as had slight leak on passenger side of engine. Cured that leak. Still have motor oil leaking . Can't seem to see where it's coming from. Worst case, from the flexplate seal. Looking at WIS, that looks like alot of fun to get the auto trans out of these gems.One thing that makes me doubt that it is a flex plate leak, is there is a rubber plug at the very buttom of the trans, in the area where the torque converter bolts to the flex plate. Pulled this plug, and no oil there.Never the less, until I can figure this out, I mark my parking locations with Mobil 0-40

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a small oil leak and it was getting on the bottom of my transmission pan. Dealer replaced the gasket for the Vacuum pump and within 12 hours, the leak was worse and the smell of burning oil filled my car. Took it back and dealer had to replace the Vacuum pump because the housing was warped and leaking from the seams.

Looks like this is a somewhat rare, yet not too rare problem with these cars. Luckily the pump was under $200 if I remember right.

Just my random $0.02

·
Registered
7 Posts
I could buy a fresh pump, but I hesitate because it's about $180.00, so I hate to buy one speculatively.
Fistly, thanks for the write up JMarkert.

Secondly, where did you find the brake assist pump for $180!! The cheapest I can find a new one is $300.00!!!

I am considering purchasing a new pump only because Im not sure how well the pump works at this point even after I seal it back up.

Does your brake pedal still feel good?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am considering purchasing a new pump only because Im not sure how well the pump works at this point even after I seal it back up.

Does your brake pedal still feel good?
I just pm'ed Jesse, but in case anyone is curious, my repair seems fine after about 2 years (using the high temp rtv silicone). No leaks that I can see yet, and the brakes seem just fine. Not sure of a cheap source for the pump these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just pm'ed Jesse, but in case anyone is curious, my repair seems fine after about 2 years (using the high temp rtv silicone). No leaks that I can see yet, and the brakes seem just fine. Not sure of a cheap source for the pump these days.
I just stopped by my local SAAB repair shop to pick up the gasket. Took off the pump and removed the 3 torx screws. Top came off. Cleaned the mating surfaces and RTV'd them as per JMarkerts method. I will let everyone know how mine turns out after the RTV cures in 24hours! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been a little over a month since taking apart the Vacuum Pump. I cleaned the pump and re-assembled it back w/o replacing the gasket (Austin, TX Saab Dealer did not parts--surprise, surprise--and couldn't find it anywhere else). Knock on wood, but I haven't had any leak problems thus far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JMarkert did you reused the old O-ring type of gasket and applied RTV gasket maker on top & bottom of it? Or you did it just with Gasket maker? I'm trying to fix the leak that is coming from the same spot.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JMarkert did you reused the old O-ring type of gasket and applied RTV gasket maker on top & bottom of it? Or you did it just with Gasket maker? I'm trying to fix the leak that is coming from the same spot.
It's complicated. I did buy the new gasket, but then I still had the leak (coming from the pump, not the mating surface), so I took the pump apart and sealed that. Since the gasket was now 'used', I added a little bit of the high temp silicone to that as well. I think I put just a little bits on both sides, fearing that loose silicone bits would clog up the oil system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the same thing JMarkert did above. But all in one procedure. Its been almost a week and not a drip of oil and my pedal feels like the vacuum assist pump is still functioning properly.

1 Took off pump
2 removed 3 screws and took cover off vacuum pump.
3 Cleaned surface of pump and pump housing with brake parts cleaner
4 Used high temp rtv silicone to seal up the pump and its housing.
5 Re-install 3 screws holding the vacuum pump together.
6 Place new gasket with some rtv around the outside edge
7 Re install the pump on car and let the rtv cure for 24 hours before starting.

Enjoy leak free vacuum pump! Thanks again JMarkert for the initial info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the write up, going to attempt this next weekend. I have as decent oil leak coming from that area.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts