SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

MY 1999 9-3 need to add freon but before I do . I like to no do i need to vacuum my ac system ? should I just go ahead and add. what the result will be??

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
Why do you need to add freon? Did you replace something? Or is it low/leaking refrigerant?

The answer to your question varies with the above answer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gauges are very important. They tell alot. If your low on freon, why? Is it a slow leak? If you still have freon but the level is low then maybe a charge will work and last the rest of the summer.

But, usually, you want to vacuum the system, hold the vacuum and identify the leak in the system if there is one.

If you add freon, you need the gauges to make sure you don't add too much or the whole point of adding becomes a waste. Also, check all the hose connections for oil leaks in the A/C system that's a quick way to tell if you have a problem IF a gasket is leaking at a connection, you can sometimes see oil residue around the connection.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Leak just low freon just wanted to make sure should I add or should I vacuum before adding any freon
Would it be better if I vacuum ?

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
No Leak just low freon just wanted to make sure should I add or should I vacuum before adding any freon
Would it be better if I vacuum ?
If you have a leak, you probably need to find it. If it takes years to leak out, you can probably do a recharge and be happy, but you will be back in the same situation at some point. Most leaks are a bit quicker and will mean frequent recharges.

I might charge with a leak detector type charge, then see if you can spot the leak in a while. Once you find it you can do a repair, vac, and recharge. You should buy a set of gauges (I think autozone has some that are only $50) ... you should not add refrigerant without a gauge to make sure you don't overcharge it. That's as bad as being low.. and sometimes worse.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I buy the car year or so I'v never use the AC tell now trying to get up n running

If it have a small leak could be ? I no when turn on the AC I doesn't get cool .so before spend any money should I just recharges

·
Registered
18,944 Posts
Check with the gauges - if it doesn't need a charge, don't charge it, you have another issue. If it's low, charge it. Check the gauges and see how it it running. Watch it and see if it loses freon. You could charge it with the leak detector type - that way if it's leaking out you can find the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts