SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, been a little while since I've been in here, excuse me if this has been asked before, I've search for the past hour, but have come up with no promising leads. A friend of mine is about to get a 1987 Saab 900 turbo coupe (for FREE!!! :cheesy:), with some SPG effects (particularly lowered suspension and rims). The car has approximately 270K to 280K (odometer stopped at 220K) It needs a bit of work, but once on the road it'll be a blast. Some work needed includes: exhaust leak right before the cat, a few ball joints need to be replaced, interior cleaned out (mold), exterior needs a real good cleaning (algae growth), missing headline (who needs one anyways), a broken driver's side window (hey, still got the passenger side working), unfunctional climate control fan (hey summer is right around the corner, open the sunroof and passenger window if you want some moving air), a sticky lifter (it gets quiet when its warm), and rust growing everywhere (we collapsed the driver's side jacking point, that'll be fun to figure out).
Engine runs superbly, after a few months of sitting it fired right up. Oil stays clean and leaks no fluids (though when we went the power steering resivour was empty and the guy seemed surprised) and has a new rebuilt transmission in it.

What I'm here for today is on the subject of vacuum lines. Noted that the turbo/APC guage wasn't doing anything, and could hear a hiss behind the dash, pulled the speaker grill and had a feel around. I pulled the APC line out of the back of the turbo guage and it does have some vacuum to it, but I later found another vacuum line with two short lengths of tubing coming from it, neither is connected. Is their a difinitive thread/web link describing where all of the vacuum lines go (perhaps diagrams too?). I get the feeling the best way to go about locating the missing connections is to remove the dash, etc. to hopefully get a look at some possible connection places. Oh and any advice on any of the above list of items that need attention? Right now we're focusing on getting the car on the road, so looks like precident will be given to the exhaust leak, vacuum lines, power steering, ball joints and window (I think that needs to open for the safety inspection), but I think this would be a great car if we can get it back into good shape!
Thanks guys (and girls).

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
There isn't really a definitive guide, but there's a diagram which may help here . Also have a look at Fred's guide to vacuum leaks, although that is for an LPT so there will be a few small differences.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Remove the lower dash pad, there's a line that goes from the manifold to the overboost pressure switch & then onto the APC transducer (they're next to each other) then onto the boost gauge.

Sounds like this is the vac line you have found!

Remember that the whole heating control system uses vacuum to move the flaps so there are plenty of other lines in there, but I would leave those alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts