SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Saabers! I am from Atlanta, a few months ago I bought a '03 9-3 convertible with a leaking water pump. It wasn't overheating so I was able to give her a good run around the neighborhood and she absolutely ran like a champ. There was no check engine light so I scanned it to verify all the systems were in ready mode and nothing was pending. The only issue was a leaky water pump. I took it home on a trailer and went to changing the water pump. When changing the water pump I noticed there was vacuum hose on the belt and almost rubbed through. I replaced it, and a few other hoses that were dried out and I thought I was being diligent. But to get to the point I get her all put back together about a month later after I got the hoses in, start it up and it just goes dead. I started it with some pedal and kept it running. After a few minutes it leveled out and would at least run on it's own, but the check engine light came on through all that. On a test drive it was sluggish and it was obvious there was a vacuum issue. The code was p0453, evap system pressure high. After checking all the vacuum hoses everything looks okay but honestly I reconnected the hoses based on the path of least resistance and didn't realize until later there was a diagram under the hood, thanks to jvanabra, but as it turns out it lacked enough detail to be of real help and now I can't figure out what I have crossed. I live in an emissions county and can't get a tag. I've even ran to pullapart a couple of times but the cars are always too molested to be of any help. I have a 2.0 turbo built in Oct '02 so it's the engine with the "turbo tower". What I'm hoping for is to find someone with actual pictures of vacuum hoses and where those hoses are supposed to go, namely the ones pertaining to the evap purge valve and the boost pressure sensor on the "tower", because those were replaced. I even bought a haynes manual and the information in it was vague when it comes to things like that. It just says remove hoses and then replace hoses. Thanks in advance for any help offered, I'm really hoping someone else has been through this and has pictures. I just want to drive my awesome convertible this fall..

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Evap system high sounds like a check valve is backwards, or failed. Don't run the car like this - you could be pressurizing the gas tank and that could result in some very expensive and difficult repair. Ultimately, everything under the hood can only be connected one way in order to work correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call jvanabra! And good looking out jmkcc!! That diagram is gold, gold, I tell you. I've been on a search for that for so too long, and from my research, I'm not the only one. That website altogether, just awesome. Thank you, truly,,.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm seconding Banya's comment - download WIS And EPC. The online WIS is a great tool - but there's a LOT more you can find in WIS and EPC. Unfortunately it comes with a learning curve. Until you get used to Swedish software navigation you'll want to bang your head against the wall so pick up some tylenol or Guinness....

I got so annoyed with the software I started to decompile it into individual pdfs. I actually found the online WIS while searching for software to help me pull WIS apart. In hindsight I can see from the online WIS and my own attempts that you can only go so far in making all the information available in WIS/EPC available in a logical and easy to use format. So I'm back to my windows version of WIS and EPS for the most part. Hopefully online WIS wil keep at it and figure an even better way to navigate and access all the data.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
jmk: AFAIR the WIS is MS-Access based. You can get into it from there. But, it's been a while... might be the EPC that uses MS-Access and not the WIS.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I first got WIS when I got my first newer Saab... 2002 or 2003? I found it IMPOSSIBLE to use, so much so that I ended up relying on a terrible Haynes manual most of the time because it made sense to me.

When I came back to newer in Saabs in 2010 or so, for whatever reason, WIS just clicked for me and it's been no problem ever since.

So weird how the brain works! Or doesn't.

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
I first got WIS when I got my first newer Saab... 2002 or 2003? I found it IMPOSSIBLE to use, so much so that I ended up relying on a terrible Haynes manual most of the time because it made sense to me.

When I came back to newer in Saabs in 2010 or so, for whatever reason, WIS just clicked for me and it's been no problem ever since.

So weird how the brain works! Or doesn't.
Yeah, the WIS is a PITA ... and I'm a former software designer, so it probably bugs me more than most folks. Terribly designed and non-intuitive. Once you learn its ways, it's more useful. Still a PITA, but more useful. It's worth just spending a few hours poking around it to see what it does and where the info is located if you plan to use it. Don't miss the "Bookmarks" feature. Very useful and often neglected. Note that they are per model/year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts