SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
No :p Far too many other things to do this evening. And I have to drive to work tomorrow anyway. You'll just have to wait :D :cheesy:

It is tempting though, but I can't really justify spendind the money on fuel.

Spot the difference :

The left one is the CORRECT one for my car. The right one was used from '79 onwards.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Cor blimey! Putting that on made a difference. Blew one of the pipes off :eek: Mind you, it was one that's supposed to be held on by a strap between teh two pipes that meet, and I seem to have lost the screw somewhere.

It did make a big difference though, it now boosts about 5mm into the read, and sometimes stays put, sometimes dips just under the red. There is still the occasional flicker of the knock LED, so I think I'll retard the timing a touch from 23deg btdc to 20.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seeing as this has come up again...
Anyone have the instructions for adjusting Group9's AID vac capsule thingy? :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Matthew said:
I was wondering how those G9 AIDs were adjusted. Have you tried asking Matt?
yeah, but Group9 didn't supply any instructions with it. He emailed them at the time and got no response.
Since owning the car - I've emailed them and got no response.

Looking at it the capsule it can be taken apart easily with a 3mm (i think) allen key. I'm guessing the "adjusting" is done inside somehow.
As it's only a guess I've not tinkered with it yet as I want to be sure before I break something :cheesy:

I still have my "misfire" at just before boost and the gropu9 AID is aboutt he only thing I havent changed... should have tried the "stock" vac capsule on the new dizzy i aquired before swaping them over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Matthew said:
Perhaps the AID is adjusted by using different strength springs inside.
Maybe, we won't find out until I start messing about with it - which won't be until after the USD :cheesy:
I'm beginning to think my car is the only one in the UK with one of the dam things as no one I've asked has a clue about them or has seen such a thing.
I may try a post on saab-link forums see if any of those guys have one and see if they could shed some light.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Si_J said:
Maybe, we won't find out until I start messing about with it - which won't be until after the USD :cheesy:
I'm beginning to think my car is the only one in the UK with one of the dam things as no one I've asked has a clue about them or has seen such a thing.
I may try a post on saab-link forums see if any of those guys have one and see if they could shed some light.

any luck with the instructions?

al

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im sorry if i'm totally wrong, but wouldn't using the EZK from the NA engine be bether than moding the vac capsule?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
EZK has a knock retard range of 13˚, but it hunts for the correct setting. Fine if you hunt for the throttle setting (don't stomp). Safe for less intense / time critical applications. The load retard range is 6˚.
Perhaps with a moded chip in the EZKnock.
Perhaps that's why.
BTW It idles a 5˚ btdc.
IMO - Just another level of complexity to sort through and accept some compromises due to.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'm just bumping this as i modded a capsule for my 99 the other day :cheesy: .
I found that the easiest way to do it was to just bend the stop. It doesnt take much!

My capsule also had a funny plastic guide that keeps the arm central. It was in the way and took me a while to work out how to remove it as it was glued in! It actually just pops out if you lever it right.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts