SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In most of the flow positions I am sure I hear a vacuum leak noise. It is not there when in the off position but is there in almost all the others. Some positions are noisier that others. Is this a common fault. And if so, or not, what am I looking for a fix.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The air direction controls do work, you can hear them moving and clicking inot position. I thought if the hose was right off it would not work. If it is a perished vac hose does this mean a dash out job to replace it. The vac hoses under the bonnet have been replaced due to perishing.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
rawill said:
I thought if the hose was right off it would not work. If it is a perished vac hose does this mean a dash out job to replace it.
There are a fistful of hoses, they don't usually deteriorate. More diagnosis is needed.
Will the center vent open in the fresh-air position?
Was any work done recently to the heater or radio?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
There are a fistful of hoses, they don't usually deteriorate.
very little heat, no UV rays from the sun, etc, there is little chance of the hoses within the dash deteriorating.

you will need to remove the center console, front storage console and lower padded dash cover in order to access most of the vent hoses.

you might have a loose hose, or might be missing a plug on one of the open-ended hoses.

if the center vent does not open, that one can be reached by reaching up and under the dash. some contortionism may be required. my hand is a little too big to push that one back on with the dash fully assembled - i had to have my little sister reach up behind the dash to fully seat that vacuum hose.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnx people

It seems i will need to save this thread and get in to look later (away on holiday just now). I really didn't want to go dismantling the dash, but ah well. I have only had the left speaker out to put the heater control rod back on. apart from that I haven't been in there, someone else has though. a wire may well be off the back of the radio as the aerial doesn't go up and down when you switch the radio on/off. I have only just bought the car and am finding heaps of things to put right, so thanks to you guys for your pointers. I am getting there.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
rawill said:
It seems i will need to save this thread and get in to look later (away on holiday just now). I really didn't want to go dismantling the dash, but ah well. I have only had the left speaker out to put the heater control rod back on. apart from that I haven't been in there, someone else has though. a wire may well be off the back of the radio as the aerial doesn't go up and down when you switch the radio on/off. I have only just bought the car and am finding heaps of things to put right, so thanks to you guys for your pointers. I am getting there.
Check the fuse in the power antenna +12 volt line - it's possible that it could have blown.

The vacuum switch has a soft pliable 'manifold' clipped to the back onto which the vacuum hoses attach, and that manifold can be detached from the switch. It's likely that one of the vacuum solenoids might not be working, or the vacuum hose to it might have come off the solenoid body.

Craig.

·
Registered
716 Posts
What sort of leak do you hear? Is it constant?

If you hear a pishhhhhh noise when you turn the vent control to different positions, that is normal.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'll take a guess and suggest that one of the clips that secures the hose connection to the air distribution switch is broken off. Pretty common.

Drew

Reactions: rawill

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
DrewBedelph said:
I'll take a guess and suggest that one of the clips that secures the hose connection to the air distribution switch is broken off.
....Or just loose.
That's the most likely. Don't start your diagnosis by removing any dash parts, start with the radio, then the left speaker.

The center dash vent is the first to fail when vacuum is low.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ricks-yes

Thanks again guys, it is a constant noise. I hear the noise as I move it from position to position, but when it is in position (except off where it makes no noise) it makes a constant phisshing sound. However at each position the sound is slightly different. thanks for the pointers, I think I have enough to keep me searching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts