SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article in Motor Trend about the 9-3 getting a new V6 Turbo. In the article the author said that the previous V6 was limited to 200HP because that's all the internals would allow. I have the V6 in my 2002 ARC and have looked around for a way to upgrade parts to improve power. After reading this article I wonder if upgrading is worthwhile?:roll:

If the internals won't take more than 200hp, then why is there an ECU upgrade to 240hp and 288ftlbs torque?:confused:

Peter

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
PeterGibons said:
If the internals won't take more than 200hp, then why is there an ECU upgrade to 240hp and 288ftlbs torque?:confused:

Peter
I agree Peter and I'd tend to believe the likes of Nordic who make the upgrade ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts as well. :)

The article was in the July 2005 Motor Trend/Newcomers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I once read a post of someone that had their engine block worked on and the mechanic said that the pistons are forged in the V6. So......I also agree with nordic and believe that this engine can take a lot of power.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The problem isn't what the V6'll 'take' per-se, note you're all talking bhp for starters and not torque or where the torque really builds and how suddenly - more important than final bhp.

I've got an old V6, a 2.5 with about 200bhp but the torque peak is in the order of 4200rpm and a mere 180lbs/ft, now how does that compare to the turbo engines? some have well over 250lbs/ft available from around 2000rpm [hence that kick in the pants lift you get, it's the torque not the bhp] now the V6 was not designed to withstand this sudden dump of torque at low speed, the engine is a spinner, probably at its time the best revving Saab engine; as this is where it really comes alive so I would like to think any tuning of this engine through turbo boost will come in carefully with no sudden torque to shock the internals and bend stuff; I always thought Saab's idea to lpt the V6 was interesting, generous [but not excessive] low torque but as the turbo is tiny it rapidly runs out of puff and the engine is almost like the normally aspirated engine at high revs - an attempt at the best of both worlds perhaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts