SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would inform some people. I have posted in the past about intermittant stuttering and stalling on cold starts. Well it seems the root cause has been identified.

The car finally stalled while it was being driven. The shop indicated that an intake hose had become detached. Well, we had brought it in for the stuttering problem earlier and the dealer replaced our perfectly fine Air mass meter to no avail. I presume that the hose was loose and leaking causing the AMM to read out of spec.

Anyways the hose became detached because it was saturated from oil that originated in the turbo. Has anyone had this problem. I drive the 3.0L V6.

So now I am looking at all my options, a new turbo (Garrett 1549??) is $2113 just for the turbo asssembly. I have located a remanufactured one for $450 + shipping from the Ebay store (Xsboosters). That is looking like a good option but was curious if anyone else has positive experience with rebuilt turbos?

G

·
I recently got a rebuild turbo from Xsboost and it is working great. It sure beats paying the full retail price from Saab and it is just as good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles have you put on the rebuilt turbo? I am definately leaning in that direction. However, it sounds like the mechanic is going to charge more for labor than if he put in a new one. I don't get it.

G

·
n_whitehead said:
How many miles have you put on the rebuilt turbo? I am definately leaning in that direction. However, it sounds like the mechanic is going to charge more for labor than if he put in a new one. I don't get it.
Not many, only about 1600 miles. He's probably charging more because he won't be making the profit on selling you a new turbo.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Another MN person!

Dealers are bad that way. I'd find an indy, ask him if he'd let you bring in parts... and have them do the work. Some may charge double labour to recoup your parts loss cost.

I use some guys called Lancer Automotive service in St. Paul. They are really, really good (far better than the dealers). For example, they don't do mufflers but said I could bring in my own part. You might want to talk with them if you can bring in a turbo (I don't know that they'd say yes... but might be worth a shot)..

If you want more info about them, PM me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wulf said:
I recently got a rebuild turbo from Xsboost and it is working great. It sure beats paying the full retail price from Saab and it is just as good.
I can 2nd that. Xboost is great and the rebuilt is perfect craftsmanship. Look into changing the intake hoses off the turbo as they may be saturated with oil also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what caused my car to stall, the oil saturated hose came detached. I had that replaced this Monday, and now need to get the turbo done ASAP, before the new hose has a similar problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am glad you posted this, I will look into it right away!

My wife works in Hopkins, MN. The midwest Saabies are showing their heads since the strange hot weather last weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know the difference between the two GT1549's

OEM PT. # 90490711
OEM PT. # 90490382

My dealer quoted me the -711 based on my VIN. I am probably going to buy a rebuild from Xsboosters but would be very bad if he actually only had the -382 model, as I am guessing that they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YS3EF48Z413027905

Which one do I need? It doesn't match the VIN references you mention above. I think I need the -711, based on what the dealer said but they haver erred before.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
actually it does. according to the VIN you need the 382 if I read it correctly.

Look at the last 7 digits.

G

·
Based on the model year, it looks like you'll need the -711 (MY00-04). Not sure what part of the VIN they are referring to or what the actual difference is between the two units. :confused:

The serial number of you car is 027905.

G

·
This site is giving different info about the MYs:
http://www.arturbo.co.uk/catalogue_turbos.asp?Make=31

Here is another VIN decoder with the following results:
http://www.saabnet.ru/vin.html

VIN: YS3EF48Z413027905
Manufacturer: Saab Automobile AB
Product line: SAAB 9-5
Body type: 4-door Sedan
Gear box: 4-Speed Automatic
Engine type: B308E - 3.0L V6 turbo LPT, 200 hp
Model year: 2001
Assembly plant: Trollhattan line B or Arlov, Sweden
Serial number: 027905
Control symbol: Passed
SRS: Dual Airbags, 9-5 SE

Needless to say, I am totally confused which unit you need. I checked in the Saab WIS and EPC but not much is mentioned about the V-6 turbo system and doesn't list any part numbers for the turbo units.. :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the VIN Y3040001, the Y denotes the model year of 2000,

In my VIN 13027905, the 1 at the beginning denotes model year 2001, therefore this would come after the Y3040001 VIN and would use the -711 turbo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts