SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way tell if the tensioner is the updated version or the original factory piece? The motor is a 1995 2.5 V6 that has had the belt replaced at least once prior to my ownership.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
According to my Vauxhall/opel Omega haynes service manual (only book I know of that covers the V6) The new tensioner was fitted to 97+ years and has an extended life of 80,000 miles or 8 years (i thought it was 65, thats news to me). "The modified tensioner assemble can be identified by checking the letter stamped on the tensioner pulley/upper guide roller backplate; the original tensioner is marked with D and the modified assembly has an E in it (EA or EB)"

Of course this modified assembly can be used on earlier models to increase the belt service life. So you'd have to remove the timing belt cover to see this.

Tboy

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Edit, saw this picture from Ragtop Cavs post: (hope he doesent mind the reposting)

According to haynes, the tensioner is the top center pulley (between the four cam pulleys) and the stamped letters should be on that castin.

Tboy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts