SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have my 9-5 SE v6 for 3 years now and it looks that it developed some issue, likely with the transmission. I would appreciate if you could review symptoms below and let me know if this sounds familiar to anybody.

1. There's acoustic sound, kind of whistle or whine which occurs on 1st gear.
2. The noise disappears as soon as it changes to 2nd gear. This is consistent behavior.
3. The amplitute of this sound increases with RPMs, it starts at about 1500 and seems to last until gear up change.
4. I was able to verify, that if I start skipping 1st gear (using WINTER mode), there is no sound/noise at all.
5. It doesn't do that on Neutral, when I accelerate to 2000 RPMs.

Any help would be much appreciated. Do you think that AT fluid change could help?

Thank you!

Onek

·
Registered
93 Posts
whistling sound

1. There's acoustic sound, kind of whistle or whine which occurs on 1st gear.
2. The noise disappears as soon as it changes to 2nd gear. This is consistent behavior.
3. The amplitute of this sound increases with RPMs, it starts at about 1500 and seems to last until gear up change.
4. I was able to verify, that if I start skipping 1st gear (using WINTER mode), there is no sound/noise at all.
5. It doesn't do that on Neutral, when I accelerate to 2000 RPMs.
Onek
This are exactly the symptoms for my car, 2,3t SE 1998 230k km nowe for more than years

·
Registered
519 Posts
What year? Make sure you use the correct fluid. If it is an aisin Warner transmission use only mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV transmission fluid....they are the same. Feel free to buy the Saab fluid which is also just 3309 but pay $17 a quart vs 5 at your local Toyota dealer.

You will drain out 3.2 quarts then add back the same. Drive for a day or so and do the same 3x. You can do it all in one sitting if you take the car off the ramps and take it for a short spin running through all the gears and then back up on the ramps. Some say you can just row through the gears to make sure the new oil in the sump is circulated. I prefer to drive it a bit....

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
2001, The procedure is a 3 time change to flush out the old fluid; best done with the car on jack stands; after each change let the car run and go thru the gears (while it's on the stand):lol::lol::lol:

What year? Make sure you use the correct fluid. If it is an aisin Warner transmission use only mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV transmission fluid....they are the same. Feel free to buy the Saab fluid which is also just 3309 but pay $17 a quart vs 5 at your local Toyota dealer.

You will drain out 3.2 quarts then add back the same. Drive for a day or so and do the same 3x. You can do it all in one sitting if you take the car off the ramps and take it for a short spin running through all the gears and then back up on the ramps. Some say you can just row through the gears to make sure the new oil in the sump is circulated. I prefer to drive it a bit....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

My car is 2001 9-5 SE and it has 148,500 on it. I believe that this model has 4 gear transmission. As I understand, the new type of fluid is for 2002+ cars equipped with 5 gear transmission. Anyway, I did change fluid about 2.5 years ago. The Max Life High Mileage Dex/Merc fluid by Valvoline was used. It says it's Dexron III compatible. Do you think it has any additions the transmission wouldn't like? Should the new fluid be used on the older type 4 gear transmission as well?

I'll try to capture video of this noise and provide, if I will be able to upload it.

Cheers,

Onek

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
As 8pack recommended; go with the ATF 3309 or JWS 3309 type fluid. I will be fine for the 4spd AT.

Hello,

My car is 2001 9-5 SE and it has 148,500 on it. I believe that this model has 4 gear transmission. As I understand, the new type of fluid is for 2002+ cars equipped with 5 gear transmission. Anyway, I did change fluid about 2.5 years ago. The Max Life High Mileage Dex/Merc fluid by Valvoline was used. It says it's Dexron III compatible. Do you think it has any additions the transmission wouldn't like? Should the new fluid be used on the older type 4 gear transmission as well?

I'll try to capture video of this noise and provide, if I will be able to upload it.

Cheers,

Onek

·
Registered
288 Posts
i'd just get some dex III for 2 bucks a quart and see if there's any change first before you get into the which trans fluid is better contest lol...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nathan 9⁵;2173809 said:
Mileage?? Has this just recently started? A video of the noise would really really help if you're able to upload.
I captured some of this noise... here's the link:

http://50.17.192.192/IMG.MOV

I am sorry it's upside down video, but I wanted to have the mic of my phone to be towards the window. Anyway, around 40-45 sec. you can hear the sound when I am on 1st gear slowing down from about 1800 RPMs. I made it to stay on the 1st gear by setting the car to position "1".

I guess I will try fluid change. I also asked some Saab shop (by e-mail) and they said that it could also be vaccum leak. Do you think the same way? If so, do you have any ideas how to diagnose it easily?

Thank you!

Onek

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nathan 9⁵;2173809 said:
Mileage?? Has this just recently started? A video of the noise would really really help if you're able to upload.
I already tried to post a link to video, but it seems to be unsuccessful. Anyway, here's short clip:
http://50.17.192.192/IMG.MOV and around 40-45 sec. the noise is audible when I am slowing down on 1st gear. Actually, the sound is similar on speeding up or slowing down around 1500 RPMs. I force it to 1st gear only by setting gear to position "1".

Also, some Saab mechanic said it could be vaccum leak. What do you think?

Thanks!

Onek

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 2001 SE....It has the Aisin Warner Transmission. I have been running the 3309 (Toyota T-IV) for several years (50k miles). First drain and flush at 110k and latest at 140k.

I am pretty sure the 3309 is the correct fluid for that year and transmission. In any case, my transmission loves it and I have had no problems. It runs and shifts great.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i'm staring at dexIII right now. it's very much still available. in this onek's situation, i'd throw that in first for 2 bucks a quart before i'd do anything else just in case there's no difference and his trans is screwed. if not you're only out 10 bucks lol... i hope it's okay though :cheesy:

·
Registered
519 Posts
SAAB95ER or anyone else.....I am glad this thread popped up. I for some dumb***** reason had it in my head I had the AW 5 speed...I don't know why..I think because my Volvo and Audi both Called for the 3309....Clearly the 4 speed calls for the Dex III.

Anyway, 3309 is mineral oil ATF just as the Dexron III is. Do I need to flush out the 3309 and replace with the Dexron III?

Transmission shifts great and has no issues with the 3309....

·
Registered
288 Posts
SAAB95ER or anyone else.....I am glad this thread popped up. I for some dumb***** reason had it in my head I had the AW 5 speed...I don't know why..I think because my Volvo and Audi both Called for the 3309....Clearly the 4 speed calls for the Dex III.

Anyway, 3309 is mineral oil ATF just as the Dexron III is. Do I need to flush out the 3309 and replace with the Dexron III?

i'm sure it's okay if it still runs lol. there's probably a chart on the web somewhere of compatable/equivelant oils... that means i'm not looking for it but it should be out there lol...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Either or would do; but the 3309 is recommended if you're going to flush one for the other then you will have to do the 3 fill and drain. If you have the dex III in there now just drain and refill. You would only do the 3 fill and drain if you’re changing the fluid altogether.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts