SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a short 9-second video, so you can listen to it (I think you have to wait 10 seconds and then proceed to the download page):http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=543326

I first noticed the sound on the freeway 2 days ago. It was on and off for a while, now it seems to be constant. The car has 118k miles, the timing belt was changed at 90k by the previous owner (I know, it should've been done at 60k, but oh well...). No lights on the dash, car drives just fine. One other note: yesterday, while idling, I heard a sort of gurgling sound coming from the right side of the engine bay which I believe was the water pump. Could it be related? Thanks, btw, car is a '00 SE Wagon.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I really hope the noise isn't your timing belt tensioners. Do you have documentation the tensioners were replaced along with the timing belt?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nathan 9⁵;1757187 said:
I really hope the noise isn't your timing belt tensioners. Do you have documentation the tensioners were replaced along with the timing belt?
Unfortunately, I don't... I just assumed the tensioners were changed at the same time.:confused:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I hosted your video on Photobucket, so others don't have to go through the trouble of downloading it, in order to view it.

here it is:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
To me it sounds like a tensioner or a bearing. It could be your serp. belt tensioner or your water pump. The only way to confirm this is to remove the serp. belt and then start the car. If your noise is gone, it's your serp. belt tensioner, or your water pump. You can usually figure it out by turning the tensioner and water pump pulley by hand. If either feels rough, sometimes has free play, and not smooth, that's the problem.

I would NOT take the chance in driving your car anywhere till you can rule out it's not the timing belt tensioners. They do not give you any notice before they completely fail. They just fail and there goes your engine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the vid upload, Nathan. :) The Photobucket video lost a bit of quality, I can't hear the squeaking as well, so those who want to hear the better quality sound can just download it from the original link.

Hmmm, sounds more serious than I initially thought...My guess at this point is that it's the water pump, I'll take a good look at things tomorrow

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nathan 9⁵;1757218 said:
I couldn't hear any squeaking from the raw file. But then I have a Mac and had to open it with a Mac based app.
Really? It's a very high-frequency squeak, Photobucket lowered the quality so you can't really hear it...I used Windows Media Player and the sound was 100% accurate

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
OH MY LORD! I hear it now. I downloaded WMV 9 for Mac.
WOW that's one high pitched cricket you've got in there. Definitely sounds like a very dry belt tensioner. Which one, I'm not sure. All the water pumps that were dying that I've heard have sounded very low and gravely.

Really try removing the tension on the serp. belt tensioner, slipping the belt off running the engine and see if that noise goes away.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I took a look at things today. After taking the serp. belt off, the noise was still there. Then, I took off the engine cover to look at the timing belt, and that's where the noise was coming from. I think the problem is one of the tensioners. I will just go ahead and change the entire belt assembly along with the tensioners, it's better to be safe, and I won't have to worry for another 60k.

Also, the engine mounts are really worn, no wonder the engine was vibrating so much. I will change those ASAP

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I went to my indy and he replaced the entire belt + tensioners (which were indeed original). Sure enough, one of the tensioners was completely broken, it would barely turn by hand. The belt could have broken any moment if I continued driving. Just got the car back now, it drives/sounds great. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts