SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my wife and I both have Saabs, and we just found a 2000 9-5 we love. I looked under the hood and there sits a V6. I know NOTHING about these engines. My wife has a 1999 9-5 with the 2.3L so I know the typical gremlins with the model, so what about the V-6? The vehicle has 100K on it and is clean.

What are the common issues with the V6?

What can I look for before buying?

Are these as good an engine as the 2.3L- how many miles I can expect from it?

Does the V6 have a turbo? I didnt look long enough to see.

What kind of fuel mpg should I get?

Thanks to all for any input.

-John

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
A 'lil search of the board for 'V6' will give you all sorts of info....

Maine said:
What are the common issues with the V6?
*** 60k mile timing belt with tensioner and pulley change is a MUST.

What can I look for before buying?
*** usual 9-5 stuff plus make sure the above was done at 60k.

Are these as good an engine as the 2.3L- how many miles I can expect from it?
*** they seem solid and have fewer niggly issues than the 4 - timing belt maintenance, weak expensive turbo, and leaky oil cooler are the main ones.

Does the V6 have a turbo? I didnt look long enough to see.
*** yes, on the front exhaust manifold.

What kind of fuel mpg should I get?
***depends on how you drive... a little less than the 4.

Thanks to all for any input.

-John

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I search for "V6" it says:

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : V6"

Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
It has a timing belt that HAS to be changed, (the 4 cyl has a chain) make sure it has been.

It cant really be tuned

Its very smooth

No sludge problems

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris 9-5 said:
It has a timing belt that HAS to be changed, make sure it has been.

It cant really be tuned

Its very smooth

No sludge problems
That all sounds good to me! Minus the mandatory belt change of course ;)

The car wont be raced by any means.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Maine said:
When I search for "V6" it says:

"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : V6"
Oh yeah, I forgot that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
V6

Hello Maine:

I can't compare it to a 4 Cyl. as I've not owned one but my 1999 9.5 performs well but at 60,000 miles I have had to replace one Direct Ignition Module(common problem); one Cranshaft Positive Sensor and one water pump. I am just getting ready to have the dealer replace the timimg belt under warranty (this is applicable in Canada, can't speak for U.S.A). Otherwise the 6 cyl. has been a good performer. Peppy, responsive, smooth and gas mileage between 24 to 29 miles per gal (city vs hwy). Hope this information helps.

Marty

·
Registered
93 Posts
Silvermb said:
Hello Maine:

I can't compare it to a 4 Cyl. as I've not owned one but my 1999 9.5 performs well but at 60,000 miles I have had to replace one Direct Ignition Module(common problem); one Cranshaft Positive Sensor and one water pump. I am just getting ready to have the dealer replace the timimg belt under warranty (this is applicable in Canada, can't speak for U.S.A). Otherwise the 6 cyl. has been a good performer. Peppy, responsive, smooth and gas mileage between 24 to 29 miles per gal (city vs hwy). Hope this information helps.

Marty
You get 24 to 29 on your V6? I only get avg 23mpg. Is something wrong with my saab? I've got it used @ 62,000 and it's allways been like that. I don't have a heavy foot and I drive 1/2 city 1/2 hwy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
V6

In fairness to you, I have not try to do an actual mileage/gas consumed calculation to arrive at my 24 to 29 miles per gal. rate.

The mileage I quoted you was based on the computer readout on my dash which I check regularly to see how ny gas consumption is reading. If I'm doing a lot of city driving my mileage does drop to 23-25 miles per gal but if I'm doing a lot og hwy driving especially longer trips where I do not leave the highway and I am constantly driving with cruise control on at between 100 to 120 kilometre per hour (60 to 80 miles per hour) I have seen my reading go over the 29+ miles per gal.

I should also point out that since I bought this vehicle in 2006, Im have used only regular fuel (87 octane) and the car has performed well, no knocks ect.

I don't know if these added comments will help you in any way.

Marty

G

·
Silvermb said:
In fairness to you, I have not try to do an actual mileage/gas consumed calculation to arrive at my 24 to 29 miles per gal. rate.
Is this in U.S. Gallons or Imperial Gallons?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts