SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
It was in the 9000's ... and the engine is swappable ... but no idea about the camshafts. Search www.saabscene.com ... and find the guy that swapped those engines. He might be able to tell you since he has a 3.0 V6 in his NG900. ;)

If nothing else works, for like $700 or so you can ge a custom 4-camshaft grind from ... www.paeco.com :D

Adrian~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
The 2.5l cams are available. My car had 2 new ones put in just before I got it. I don't know where he got them but I can find out.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
greenphotos said:
Hiya all,

Can the cams for 3.0V6 GM900 be used in a 2.5V6 GM900? a friend has some 3.0l ones and wants to use them in his 2.5V6 cos he can't find any 2.5V6 ones.

Any help would be great :D

Mark
:cheesy:
Yes they can - the exhausts cams are the same - the inlets are different but will boost performance if fitted (regular easy tune up in the UK)
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Funnily enough when my V6 timing pulleys went out I took the opportunity [whilst the heads were away to repaired ] to get the cams 'upped' to the 3.0 profile at Courtenay Sport, guess what? they called me up, "your Saab Sir, does it have a 2.5 or a 3.0 becuase the cam profile is that of a 3.0" so I had them take a bit more out of the heel of the cam profile, hence my N/A Saab could give your car a run for its money so to speak [when its working :evil: ] but yeah, they'll swap mate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,689 Posts
Ragtop,

About how much did that cost you? So they were able to re-profile them to match that of the 3.0, or was it any better?

Tboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
how much performance wise do the 3.0cams gain, i was looking into them and chipping my car? anyone know of a good v6 chip, i havent seen any
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
nab627b said:
how much performance wise do the 3.0cams gain, i was looking into them and chipping my car? anyone know of a good v6 chip, i havent seen any
The best cams to fit are 'G' cams as they give more valve overlap - these are inlet cams from the Vectra C 3.2 V6 - We have fitted them to 2.5 vectra in the past and the owner was well impressed. (you can find these cams on ebay usually for £150 plus p&p)

Not sure what the power/torque increase is
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Tboy said:
Ragtop,

About how much did that cost you? So they were able to re-profile them to match that of the 3.0, or was it any better?

Tboy
They were already 3.0 profile that is how the engine was assembled, I had courtenay take more 'out of the heel' which increases lift and duration, with my own special touch on the inlet tract & castings I got 195bhp with that mod' set.

Reprofiling was around £75 per cam. [ all 4 done]
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
nab627b said:
you got a 25 hp increase from cams??? holy **** im doing that first
Rolling road verified too :cheesy:

OK I've been doing my homework, now remember what I posted about Courtenay sports saying that I'd supplied them with cams from a 3.0 [even though they were factory fit in a 2.5] well the 2.5 has 4 identical cams, though the part number does change from early to later engines, all 4 remain the same; I cross referenced the 3.0 in a 9000 and as V6man has made clear to us there are different inlet and exhuast profiles for this :confused: , so now I don't no whether my cams are in the right place or not :eek: with all the recent re work I have been putting them back from where they've came from and yes I got around 25bhp from cam and airflow mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Cam markings on front of camshaft marked adjacent to front A bearing:

A cam green C25xe inlet and exhaust & X30Xe exhaust
E cam white X25XE exhaust
F cam brown X25XE inlet
G cam blue X30XE inlet the colour marking would probably have worn off most used cams by now - but was present in the factory and on new camshafts
ragtopcav said:
Rolling road verified too :cheesy:

OK I've been doing my homework, now remember what I posted about Courtenay sports saying that I'd supplied them with cams from a 3.0 [even though they were factory fit in a 2.5] well the 2.5 has 4 identical cams, though the part number does change from early to later engines, all 4 remain the same; I cross referenced the 3.0 in a 9000 and as V6man has made clear to us there are different inlet and exhuast profiles for this :confused: , so now I don't no whether my cams are in the right place or not :eek: with all the recent re work I have been putting them back from where they've came from and yes I got around 25bhp from cam and airflow mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Forgot to mention - the change on later models - think it was around 94 was due to a change in profile in order to reduce valve train noise - also a change in location pins early ones were hollow later ones solid
ragtopcav said:
Rolling road verified too :cheesy:

OK I've been doing my homework, now remember what I posted about Courtenay sports saying that I'd supplied them with cams from a 3.0 [even though they were factory fit in a 2.5] well the 2.5 has 4 identical cams, though the part number does change from early to later engines, all 4 remain the same; I cross referenced the 3.0 in a 9000 and as V6man has made clear to us there are different inlet and exhuast profiles for this :confused: , so now I don't no whether my cams are in the right place or not :eek: with all the recent re work I have been putting them back from where they've came from and yes I got around 25bhp from cam and airflow mods.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top