SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When I shut down my 145,000 mile V6 I get a sound like a turbine running down, which continues after the engine has stopped. The noise comes from the front right side of the engine bay as you look at it, from somewhere in the area of the air filter. I'd like to know what might be causing the noise and whether it's a cause for concern.

With the engine running, I also have a whine, that varies with engine speed, coming from the drive belt, cam belt area. Is this normal or should I be planning to change the cam belt some time very soon?

As always, thanks for your advice.

Richard

·
Registered
367 Posts
check the pulleys on the cambelt for the whine. i managed, and god knows how, to drive round for 2 years with a squeal that no-one (apart from here) knew what it was. seriously, get it checked now or you risk killing the engine. the tensioner had seized and the friction caused the noise, nearly went right through the belt. now its sorted i'm getting about 5mph performance on the same rpm so it must have been a hell of a drag on the belt.

read my post on this, shows all the cr4p i went through. dunno about the turbine noise but mine makes a similar noise, thought it was the aircon coming on and off - does it make a clonk and then cause the engne rpm to drop?

edit: just read you have this with the engine off, ignore me!:D

there are a couple of v6 guys on here regularly that will be much better than me at diagnosing these things....but go get the belts and pulleys checked !!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello LondonCSE,

Thanks for the reply. I'll do as you say and have a look. I had a 2.3 CSE before this one and have to admit, although the car has a relaxed big-engine feel, the performance has been disappointing, so it could be the same belt drag problem that you described.

The parts for a belt and pulley change come in at half the price I paid for the car so I'm tempted to keep the revs down and see whether it breaks. Call me a philistine....

·
Registered
367 Posts
if it breaks you'll likely be game over...

performance admittedly isn't great off the line like the other guys' cars but i find the best to be between 50-80. different kettle of fish really, more a motorway cruiser rather than out and out performance....horses for courses really (before i get slated :D )!

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
LondonCSE said:
if it breaks you'll likely be game over...
Dunno about that, from practical experience I've found the V6 cheaper and easier to fix [use Vauxhall parts! :cheesy: ]

Some 9000's came with an exhaust recirculation system [I think that's what it was] I wonder if you are hearing that wind down as you switch off.

·
Registered
367 Posts
sorry, i meant if the cambelt breaks then you're in trouble. i still have a recording somewhere of the noise it used to make if its any help to you. pm me your email address as i couldn't get it to post here. good idea with the vauxhall parts, its true they are a lot cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts