·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences in these versions 2.8L V-6 that make for
255 HP/258 lb-ft torque
280 HP/262 lb-ft torque
280 HP/295 lb-ft torque

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t107548&v=t106635&v=t105974

Must be more than just ECU tweaks as JZW says he can take the 255HP to 320 HP with a Stage 1 and 330 HP with theTurbo-X. And where does the torque come from on a Turbo-X?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did search function a few different ways but no luck.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What are the differences in these versions 2.8L V-6 that make for
255 HP/258 lb-ft torque
280 HP/262 lb-ft torque
280 HP/295 lb-ft torque

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t107548&v=t106635&v=t105974

Must be more than just ECU tweaks as JZW says he can take the 255HP to 320 HP with a Stage 1 and 330 HP with theTurbo-X. And where does the torque come from on a Turbo-X?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did search function a few different ways but no luck.
the 255hp version was the FWD 2008 aero.
the 280hp version with 262 lb ft tq is the FWD vert for 2008.5 and 2009
the 280hp version with the 295lbft tq is the XWD aero and turbo x.
the reason he gets more power out of the TX is the exhaust flow is better than the FWD models. The torque is all from the tuning, since the engines are identical. The transmission is a little stouter on the TX as well (both manual and auto)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Taking any 2.8 to 320+hp pushes the intercoolers ability to cool and in turn gives pre-ignition problems and then all sorts of secondary issues.
Stock figures are all ECU and exhaust related as stated...mostly ECU as the variable valve timing, boost pick-up and pressures can be tweaked..almost everything on the engine is electronically controlled so the ECU is key to power and torque.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Taking any 2.8 to 320+hp pushes the intercoolers ability to cool and in turn gives pre-ignition problems and then all sorts of secondary issues.
Stock figures are all ECU and exhaust related as stated...mostly ECU as the variable valve timing, boost pick-up and pressures can be tweaked..almost everything on the engine is electronically controlled so the ECU is key to power and torque.
If I lived in the UK (or Europe) and was tuned I'd buy Maptun's Intercooler in a New York minute! NeoBrothers has it available, possibly cheaper than Maptun itself. Not as cheap over here (because of distributor mark-up/shipping/duties--though NeoBrothers remains an option for North Americans--and ex. VAT). I have it installed on my Turbo X (Vtuned Stage 0 rev2 --soon Stage 1) and have not experienced any of the aforementioned issues. Besides, it is an easy fit...about as close to 'plug 'n play' as you can get and of superb quality.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If I lived in the UK (or Europe) and was tuned I'd buy Maptun's Intercooler in a New York minute! NeoBrothers has it available, possibly cheaper than Maptun itself. Not as cheap over here (because of distributor mark-up/shipping/duties--though NeoBrothers remains an option for North Americans--and ex. VAT). I have it installed on my Turbo X (Vtuned Stage 0 rev2 --soon Stage 1) and have not experienced any of the aforementioned issues. Besides, it is an easy fit...about as close to 'plug 'n play' as you can get and of superb quality.
I have a hookup in Europe, Poland specifically. I wonder if it would be worth while to have the intercooler shipped to Poland and then have my hookup send it to Canada.
Alternatively, I am probably going to be visiting Poland next year. I don't know if I could bring it back with me?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a hookup in Europe, Poland specifically. I wonder if it would be worth while to have the intercooler shipped to Poland and then have my hookup send it to Canada.
Alternatively, I am probably going to be visiting Poland next year. I don't know if I could bring it back with me?
I picked it up from Maptun HQ on a trip to Sweden last year. It was not boxed: Cardboard on either side and opening taped over (though I have no doubt it would be properly packaged if mailed out). I had a local contact who helped me put in carton and stuffed with tea towels and foam. Didn't pay any extra luggage charges (courtesy of being frequent flyer :)) and no duties either (I had a slightly discounted price; brought me well under the $750 Canadian threshold -- as of June 1, Canadians now allowed $800 if you're away for a week +). And I managed to escape Swedish VAT through an export arrangement ... I had to go through commercial line at Heathrow and get a stamp saying the product was being brought out of Europe...for the sake of the Exporter who bought it on my behalf (and a friend doing a favour...). The Exporter didn't charge me VAT and was reimbursed for that after the fact ...only after receiving the original invoice, stamped by UK customs (my final European port of exit) and sent through post at Heathrow mailbox (situated besides custom office). Sounds complicated but wasn't (unfortunately that relationship is not one I can offer to the readership at large!). At a minimum: Perhaps you can have a parallel invoice made, whether having mailed or bringing back yourself -- 'used intercooler for discontinued Saab' at say 400 bucks (but I didn't tell you that :) !). It's not the lightest piece, so make sure it's well taped up and 'FRAGILE' stickers all over (not that it is but better safe...). BTW: VAT is 25% in Sweden, 20% in UK, and I think 22% (or is it 23% now...) in Poland so your contact would have to (presumably) pay an extra 3% compared to what NeoBrothers would charge you ex VAT. Might be worth getting a quote from NeoBrothers and weigh options...

I'm impatient, but another strategy would be to contact Nick Taliaferro at Genuine Saab and see if he's cooking up something for us North Americans and specific to the car. Nick has bought a Turbo X in last year and used it as a test bed for some nice products, often engineered in-house (downpipe, midpipe, shifter kits, coils, brake pads/discs etc, coolant overflow, braces, strut bars etc.) at (mostly) considerable discount to what one can procure from Europe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
okay so im looking at a 2008-2009 saab 93 Aero xwd not the turbo X just i reg aero thats awd. that has the 255hp motor?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
okay so im looking at a 2008-2009 saab 93 Aero xwd not the turbo X just i reg aero thats awd. that has the 255hp motor?
the '08-'09 XWD cars and the Turbo-X came with the same motor and tune. SO it will also be 280hp/295lbft

1 - 9 of 9 Posts