SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to me a few days ago. My engine died on me (due to a cranskshaft sensor problem).
The scary part is, the power brakes etc become almost impossible to use. Given that I'm a little scathed by Saab so far, my question is:

What do u do if yr running in traffic at 80mph and yr engine dies? How do you bring it to a stop esp since your power brakes are going to be near impossible to use? (My car is an auto xmission - so i cant use the gears to brake here;oops:)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
You'll be able to use your power brakes for maybe 3-4 presses of the pedal before they stop working. It has nothing to do nothing to with how hard you press the pedal, but how many times you press it. If you machine gun the pedal you'll run out of power assist and still be going 70. If you press the pedal once and keep it down you should be able to bring the car to a complete stop no problem.

If you do lose power assistance, all is not lost. Get up off your butt and stand on the brake pedal. It'll be obnoxiously hard to press, but with enough effort the car will stop as it normally would.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bloodmire said:
The scary part is, the power brakes etc become almost impossible to use.
The steering is pretty damn heavy too :eek:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yes, power brakes Will work at a lowered capacity with the engine stalled. I wouldnt want to have to stop from 70 all the time on them, but I know the adrenaline would help me stomp it pretty good if I needed them.

You might not even notice lack of power steering on the highway. with the wheels turning, it takes almost no effort to steer the car. However, You probably wouldnt want to parallel park like that. I had the belt to my power steering pump fail on a c900, and I drove an hour home like that, with no problems exept on parking/low speed turns.

If you're tailgating, it's only a matter of time before you get into an accident anyways. :roll: Lack of power brakes or not. With proper following distance, you have a much better chance of being ok in this situation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
brakes

hmm.. i thought you can shift the gear to "n' neutral when engine die since the key still in the ignition and praying the right lane is clear so u can park in the emergency lane and if no emergency lane u can brake it slowly to let it stop so that way the car in your back would notice to slow down as well...it must be pretty dangerous when going 70 or 80 mile when an engine die and i thought it would not be possible.. i thought the engine die only when u stop at a red light..it happended to me last month on a red light and i replace the CPS but it still no help since i get up every morning the car still crank like it would crank but won't start unless i hold the key on for 3 more second in order to start ..anyhow, good luck to all on the highway..now i am start to have second thought....

·
Registered
334 Posts
When brakes fail you will learn to use your E-brake/Handbrake quick, not perfect but it helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
OddyseusDSM said:
When brakes fail you will learn to use your E-brake/Handbrake quick, not perfect but it helps.
or you learn how to go down in gears slowly, just use the dead engines compression to slow you down. even on an auto this should assist you.

and yes, the brakes will just be a pain in the *** to work, but they will.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
mfong said:
omg
that is so scary. i can't imagine that happening. wow... :eek:
Now you got Mike all worked up, nice going guys. :cheesy: j/k ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to create any panic guys (and ladies). It just happened to me (at a slower speed albeit on an empty road)...i shda bought a manual shifter, they ARE so much easier to stop just using the darn gears.

Thanks for all yr answers, keep em coming if you have more...:)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I must admit I thought the autos did actually have a brake servo for this very situation :roll:

·
Registered
334 Posts
nourdmrolnmt1 said:
or you learn how to go down in gears slowly, just use the dead engines compression to slow you down. even on an auto this should assist you.

and yes, the brakes will just be a pain in the *** to work, but they will.

Autos will actually work in this case? Hmmm... didn't know that.

^Thats what happens when you only drive stick, autos are just plain puzzling.^

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
So, I found this old threat, when trying to find something about my problem with dying engine during normal driving...

CPS or throttle was suspects, but it looks like brake servo problem. Here is description:
During normal driving (9-5 sedan '99 automatic - this is important) engine died. I could see, how tacho goes down to 500 and sometimes it returns into 800, sometimes went to 0. Immediatelly after that, brake servo died too, there were no power for just a one push of pedal...
Anatomy of problem, as I found and repaired:
Sometimes in the past brake servo failed. So there were some air leak, what caused brake servo lost its power immediatelly after engine stop. As an emergency solution there is a remote vacuum pump for cars with automatic transmissions, what is able to keeps vacuum in the system, when engine is out. This pump is not powerfull enough to work with leak inside servo unit, but can sucks some air, what enters thru that leak into vacuum tubes, so that air do not reach intake manifold. It is very important, because this extra air, what is not calculated by Trionic, just blow off engine. Sometimes system is able to rectify this, sometimes not. Much better it is on Sport mode.
So, everything looked well, but that vacuum pump was not designed for a constant, or almost constant work, it is a remote pump. After some time its relay failed and this pump stopped its work. And at this moment engine started to die with immediatelly lost of brake servo power.
First stage of repair: A new relay for remote vacuum pump and problem covered, but not repaired... Since its change this monday, no engine die happens.
Second stage: Replace of failed brake servo unit, will be done today. Then problem is repaired.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hazards on, coast to a stop, worst case (after regular brakes, e-brake, gears). I don't know how you drive but that would work for me in almost any highway situation I'm in.

You guys never had a passenger reach for the back seats and turn the engine off?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts