SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original ecu (2003 9-3 Arc) would issue a checksum error engine light. The car just had no power. I could hook up the reader and clear the error and it ran fine again for a couple of weeks. I sent it off to be refurbed at ASI for 200 bucks. They could never solve the check sum error so charged me 50 and sent it back.

I found a used one for the 2003 9-3 on ebay for $125 - it had the same part number as mine so I thought that was it. But when the Tech2 owner came and programmed it - it worked kinda but now I get the following DTSs: P0325 knock sensor 1 circuit (bank 1) and P0034 turbo/super charger bypass valve control circuit low.

Ebay seller said it needed the correct software for the Arc to get it to work correctly. the tech2 dude that did the programming said he'd never remapped the ECU software, he owns an Aero.

So my question is this possible to be done successfully on this used ECU by someone who knows how ory do I need to buy a new 700 ecu?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
There are a lot of threads about similar scenarios - where a reprogram doesn't yield exactly the expected results even though it should. I seem to recall there are some specifics about the early cars and programming across trim levels, but unfortunately since mine is an '08 I never paid that much attention. I would search in the 9-3SS forum for terms like "ecm swap" or "computer marry" and you will probably find them. I stumbled across them all by accident when searching for information on programming out the alarm and TPMS, so they pop up pretty readily.

In order to "marry" the new ECM to your car, the dude with the tech 2 would have necessarily needed to program it. Maybe not reflash the firmware, but certainly reprogram it. You don't really have a choice AFAIK.

You should not need a $700 computer, there is a junkyard solution here. But it might be an ECM from an '03 Arc.

That said, don't rule out the possibility that a) this is a defective ECM or b) you actually have those codes and your old faulty ECM wasn't able to report them.

Try this post in the 9-3SS forum. More eyes with more experience than I have will see it there.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Reposting this thread in the 9-3SS forums will only have it moved back into the Tech 2 subforum. No need to make more work for the moderators.

Question for the OP: Did the person with the Tech 2 actually reprogram the ECU to your car's VIN (technical term is referred to as SPS)? Or did they only marry it to your car?

If they only married it to the car, then that could be the root of your issue. If it was programmed to your car's VIN & specs and married, ten it's time to dig a bit deeper to resolve the issue.

2003 ECUs are funky. I received one from a junkyard and tried to SPS it to my 2004 Aero, but had issues - whether it was due to the ECU not being compatible, or because I didn't follow the steps properly thru TIS2000, or even because the ECU was a dud... I'm not sure. I gave up and switched to a tuned ECU from one of the reputable Saab tuners on here. I still have it sitting around if you want an extra. It's yours for the cost of shipping, but I can't guarantee the condition.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I think you are mistaken. The Tech 2 forum is for buying/using/installing Tech 2, not for regular owners servicing their car.

Tech II Workshop - For all discussions regarding the Tech II onboard diagnostics tool.

9-3 Workshop - 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

If you don't own a Tech 2, this is not the place for your thread.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I see it differently since the OP is asking questions about ECU programming via Tech 2. It doesn't matter if you own the device or not, questions about it and its functions are still welcome here. You stated it yourself from the subforum header: For all discussions regarding the Tech II onboard diagnostics tool. And aren't most of us regular owners servicing our cars with cloned devices?

Either way, posting a duplicate thread in another subforum is never the right answer - it will quickly be locked or merged with the original thread. Asking a moderator to move it would be better. ;)

Most people that know about the Tech 2 and SPS'ing or marrying an ECU are typically in this subforum anyway. Questions about Tech 2 or reprogramming ECUs in the 9-3SS workshop take longer to get a response and are usually answered by the same handful of people.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
If you say so, but I would encourage you to search both forums and see how many threads about ECM remarrying are in each and compare. Every time I search, they're all in the model specific forum.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for input. I remember the dude with the Tech2 verifying that the vin # matched the one displayed on the laptop.
Anyway I had it towed to EuroFix which is a hair better than dealership pricewise. We'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reposting this thread in the 9-3SS forums will only have it moved back into the Tech 2 subforum. No need to make more work for the moderators.

Question for the OP: Did the person with the Tech 2 actually reprogram the ECU to your car's VIN (technical term is referred to as SPS)? Or did they only marry it to your car?

If they only married it to the car, then that could be the root of your issue. If it was programmed to your car's VIN & specs and married, ten it's time to dig a bit deeper to resolve the issue.

2003 ECUs are funky. I received one from a junkyard and tried to SPS it to my 2004 Aero, but had issues - whether it was due to the ECU not being compatible, or because I didn't follow the steps properly thru TIS2000, or even because the ECU was a dud... I'm not sure. I gave up and switched to a tuned ECU from one of the reputable Saab tuners on here. I still have it sitting around if you want an extra. It's yours for the cost of shipping, but I can't guarantee the condition.
Do you still have that old ecu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts