SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First of many posts I hope.

I've final woken up to the world of Saab's. If only sooner.....

I am looking to purchase a used saab 9-5 estate. Age between 2002 and 2004.

Couple of things:

Petrol or diesel? Always had diesel until now many cos of miles and always liked having a turbo but now my mileage has totally dropped to normal/below normal per year.

I have test driven the 3.0TiD vector estate on a 04 reg with 91,000 miles. Was good but didn't like the turbo lag. Not what I am use to.

Also I have heard things that this diesel isn't that great as well.

So looking at 2.3Hot Aero as can't see the point in the other petrols may as well go for the top spec.

I have found a few aero's on 02 reg's one with 76,000 and other with 97,000. Going to test drive one tomorrow. One is manual and other is auto.

I didn't like the manual gearbox on the diesel, not very positive feel to it. Are the petrol gearboxes the same?

What are the auto boxes like?

Also with regards to mileage whats the reliablity like on the petrol engines once they get up close to 100,000 miles? Any good or stay clear?

Any help or advice would be great.

Regards
Al

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

A Saab petrol if treated right should exceed, with comfort, 200,000 miles.

The 3.0 v6 diesel is not a great engine, the later 4 cylinder units have a better reputation.

I recently picked up a low mileage petrol 9-5 with a manual tranny, it has done 101,000miles, the gear selection is typical of Saab notchyness that I've become adjusted too.

I'm hoping others will chip in with quite different experiences to help re-inforce the thought that I have; that no 2 Saabs are alike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

Any stories of head gaskets going? Or timing belts?

I assume the petrols use belts?

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
192 Posts
Only V6 has timing belts - 4cyl has chain.

Only headgasket I lost was when I overheated a 9000 - no coolant. There is a headbolt re-torque procedure that will buy you some more miles on your headgasket if you have high miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have or where can I get the details to the headbolt re torque procedure?

What sort of miles we talking about?

Is there a time to replace the chain?

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No set mileage for timing chain change. general rule is when it starts to rattle excessively. On some this is at 100k miles, others go on for far longer.

Manual boxes are preferred to autos, mainly because they are more economical but also due to the control factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Control Factor?

Is there any adjustment on the chains? for tightening them? or is it just straight replacement when they start to go?

Are the auto boxes reliable? Any checks that I can do on test drive?

I heard that the auto boxes are better at delivering the power on the aero's?

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
192 Posts
halster78 said:
Do you have or where can I get the details to the headbolt re torque procedure?

What sort of miles we talking about?

Is there a time to replace the chain?

Cheers
Al
Here is link: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/headretorque.htm

I would not necessarily do this unless you were overly concerned or had symptoms of small leakage. Large leakage (clouds of coolant smoke or mayonaise looking oil) would certaily call for a replacement gasket and bolts.

Not really any specific miles. It would not hurt to do it over 100k I think. By the time you get to 200k miles, it is probably just best to leave the thing alone and run it until it needs an overhaul.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Both 4 and 5 speed auto boxes are very reliable, they (Aisin Warner) are used by several other car manufacturers. The control factor is when the auto drops from 3rd to 2nd when pressing on in a corner. Its puts the rev band back into mid-range giving a sudden surge of power that threatens to have you understeering off the road. No such scares with the manual option.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Kermit said:
Both 4 and 5 speed auto boxes are very reliable, they (Aisin Warner) are used by several other car manufacturers. The control factor is when the auto drops from 3rd to 2nd when pressing on in a corner. Its puts the rev band back into mid-range giving a sudden surge of power that threatens to have you understeering off the road. No such scares with the manual option.
Yes its very scary lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does this happen under normal driving conditions or when your pushing hard?

What sort of speeds does this happen at?

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have never had this happen and it is routine for me to cane this thing on country roads. Of course the 03 has the stability assist system. Perhaps that helps.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
halster78 said:

Cheers
Al
Don't panic, they're just all talking about the normal automatic trans behavior of shifting when it wants, not when you want. Same as with any other car with an automatic - a manual trans gives you more control. I have a feeling that if you have to ask about it, then it won't matter to you.

The 9-5 has a mediocre manual trans, but a really good auto trans.

·
Registered
350 Posts
halster78 said:

Cheers
Al

Just when I'm driving hard. Normal driving is ok. Of course you can manually hold it in gear if u want, they give you 3.

·
Registered
800 Posts
if you're interested in the auto trans look for a 2003+ model with the 5 speed sentronic transmission. this is the most refined version of the auto in the 9-5 and also has a manual mode which allows the driver to select/hold gears via paddles on the steering wheel.

in my two years of ownership and spirited driving i've never experienced abrubt mid corner shifting issues in my auto aero. maybe this is unique to the 4 speed auto. :confused:

in my experience the 5 spd auto in sport mode puts down the power more evenly/smoothly than the manual and doesn't drop as much boost between shifts like the manual. for anything less than all out driving or auto-x the auto trans is just as good and maybe even a better mate for our torquey turbo engines. the only real drawback of the auto is that you can only tune it to a certain extent due to torque limitation. that said, i have a stage 3 aero and my auto transmission is more than up to the task of handling it. now, if you plan on modding beyond 300 hp then you should probably go with the manual.

good luck finding your aero, what ever tranny you get it these are excellent cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts