SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 V6 9-5 with ~156,000 miles.

My blower motor has bit the dust :evil: . For a couple weeks there was just the occasional rattle when I started the car, then it would take a while for air to start blowing out of the vents, and finally, nothing. I do get air from the vents when travelling on the interstate at high speeds, but that's it. There is a salvage yard near me where I can get a motor for ~$125.

My question: is it worth it to get a new motor, or would a salvage one get the job done. I know that electrical parts can be hit or miss, just by their nature. I don't plan on keeping the car for more than another 50,000-75,000 miles and I really hate to invest in a brand new motor unless I have to. (I drive at least 30,000 miles/year, hope the car makes it another 2 years)

I have read about the blower motor rebuild, but I have not been able to source the brushes. Ideas for that would be great as well.

Steph

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If you find a cheap used part - i would try it. In a 9k i would us only a new one because its too much work to replace it, in a 9-5 its not that bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
motor overhaul

You could take the motor apart and clean the commutator. When small particles from brushes and commutator builds up they make a short circuit and motor does not run properly. Clean commutator using small knife or similar tool and clean any deposites from commutator. Should work for years.
Oil bearings with small amount of oil.
Regards
Seppo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts