SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife and I just had a baby and need to get rid of our 1995 900S convertible; in addition to the obvious baby/top down incompatibility, it's a bear to get the car seat in and out of the back. And I like the idea of having more than a thin strip of canvas between my boy's head and the outside world.

Anyway, i'm thinking i'll stay loyal to Saab and look for a used 9-5 sedan (I like the wagons, but i'm not ready to be a station wagon owner). I want to stay under $15K, which from what I've seen will likely get me something 2003 or older. Given that reliability is my primary concern and i'm practically useless when it comes to doing repairs myself, does anyone have an opinion on which trim I should target? How about mileage to stay under?

We live in New York City, so the car is mostly for weekends (I think we put less than 5K on the 900 last year). We drive on a lot of poorly maintained roads when we do get out, however.

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what its worth, I just bought a 2005 9-5 Arc with 13k miles on it for $17500. I know that's above your budget, but the key benefit to me was the 2 years / 35K mile remaining warranty and the remainder of the free mainenance. The Saab dealer just replaced the rear winshield, due a a defroster problem and one key, no charge. This is my first Saab, but my recent experience used cars is that I'd rather be making regular car payments then having to pay for repairs ($3000 for a Jasper transmission on my 106K Suburban).

Regarding the 9-5 Arc - great power in Sport mode, some turbo lag in regular auto shift mode. Decent fuel economy, somewhat offset by the need for premium gas. Good interior room, good trunk space. Low ride height and less visibility than the Suburban or my wife's Sienna. And of course, no one else has one.

Alan

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
THe thing is that the gearbox used for automagic platform does not have a consistent fail rate, they are a good one.

Go for the Aero. It has a better turbo unit that lasts, it has huge performance and power to keep you happy for a long time and they have all the bells and whistles you could ever want.

I bought my 2001 9-5 Aero Wagon for US $7350, CND $7150....hehe

The lpt packs plenty of power; however, it is a little more prone to sluge in the engine oil and has a turbo that fails every 80-100k.

Take a close look at an Aero wagon, I'm going to be 20 in 11 days and if I can pack a wagon, anybody can!

If you can't DIY with some maintenance be prepared to hand over your savings account, these are costly to service if you can't DIY. I can't believe what the PO of my Aero spent on stuff.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
2 9-5's 2 kids

The 9-5s are expensive to maintain, I'll give you that.

I have a 01 wagon 3.0L V6 88k miles, 99 sedan 2.3L 94.5k miles.

Both have impressive room with a truly astonishing amount in the wagon. (More than my SUV (RIP: GMC Jimmy).).

I bought my 99 for $5500. The 01 was about $14K. If the dealer offers extended warranty for your price I'd say go for it. Try to look at mileage below 60K.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
fusionrx said:
The 9-5s are expensive to maintain, I'll give you that.

I have a 01 wagon 3.0L V6 88k miles, 99 sedan 2.3L 94.5k miles.

Both have impressive room with a truly astonishing amount in the wagon. (More than my SUV (RIP: GMC Jimmy).).

I bought my 99 for $5500. The 01 was about $14K. If the dealer offers extended warranty for your price I'd say go for it. Try to look at mileage below 60K.
that is good advice; however, don't go by milelage so much as care.

My Aero has 123,000 miles and runs/drives better than any 60,000 9-5 I drive in the year of searching on and off.

I'm big on oil changes, service history (transmission fluid), and body work. My car passes in all these areas and has original paint. I would consider this car over a 2002 Aero with 40,000 miles, a sketchy service history, some bumps requiring paint, even if the price was the same. The car just speaks confidence not only by running condition but just how the PO took care of it.

Warranty/scwarranty, deductables, price limits, approval process...they can be soooooo misleading.

Go private and keep your $3,000-$5,000 savings as your warranty. This way you have more control over YOUR car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts