SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Saab 9-3 Infotainment centers "phone" option is grayed out! I was told it is completely wired for bluetooth communication w/a phone, yet GM has decided to disable it in US/Canadian models!!! grrrrrr...

ANYONE know a way around this, or a hack to activate it, or how to get it enabled...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I tried to send you a PM on this issue, but you have your PM's deactivated. The essence of my message is that there are a number of very comprehensive threads on the forum about this topic. A quick search will reveal worlds of information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried searching for something concrete,yet I can't find anything that says if I can/possible to enable the phone/address book function on my Infotainment system, I was told by the dealer that it is set up mics/bluetooth/speakers yet GM just disabled the function. It's ready to go, just needs to be turned on, any help would be great maybe a link to the thread. New user thanks...

different note, i do i enable private messages...

thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
drmiller81 said:
I tried searching for something concrete,yet I can't find anything that says if I can/possible to enable the phone/address book function on my Infotainment system, I was told by the dealer that it is set up mics/bluetooth/speakers yet GM just disabled the function. It's ready to go, just needs to be turned on, any help would be great maybe a link to the thread. New user thanks...

different note, i do i enable private messages...

thanks
I'm pretty sure there is no Bluetooth module that is just turned off. It's part of the menu system, but not part of the electronics in the car.

The car is set up with microphones and the phone will play through the speakers/ mute the audio system when you get a call. Your best bet is to get an add-on bluetooth module. There are many on the forum here that have done this successfully. Check previous posts on this subject.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
You can't receive or send PMs unless you have 5 posts. Don't ask me why.

If you dealer just has to "turn it on" then why can't they do that?

This has been discussed many times, but I don't remember the threads that talked about it. Many of them centered around being pissed off that the feature was advertised but not implimented in North America.

There is no easy hack. You are looking at a 2-part problem. Enabling the phone, and enabling Bluetooth. In a nutshell, you can enable a handsfree phone by connecting a handsfree unit to the car. There are 2 different options Tel1 & Tel2. You can kind of get half of Tel1 in. You are SOL for Tel2. Read more here: http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabfaq.htm#15

Then you can get a Bluetooth phone to match your Bluetooth handsfree unit & just be the coolest kid on your block. :cheesy:

The way it's supposed to work, and does so in Europe, is that there is a BT module in the car. Tel2 is the integrated phone in the audio unit. Your Bluetooth phone will communicate with the vehicle's telco system, sharing names & numbers, and placing & receiving calls.

But, no one has gotten this to work, via hack or otherwise, in the US that I am aware of.

Hope this helps...
...and I hope I got everything right...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for your post helped out great...It's really frustrating that they "advertise" but don't "enable"...i'm gonna check out your links, thanks again

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pat are you a SaabTech? post a few more so I can start a conversation with in PM....only because I have some ideas, but are a little wild. I'd liek to refine them before sharing them with the folks here- so that I do not confuse this issue anymore! This phone thing is getting beaten to death and the frustration level is rising.

Cheers, Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can see mics dealer said it was wired but could not activate, set up but inactive from factory...not positive though just what i was told

·
Registered
232 Posts
Doc, same sit here. Crazy thing is, my display (the big color one with the Navi system), does not have these features grayed out....yet I do not have a phone either? What gives....I am guessing that a Tech may be able to tell me, or may not....time will tell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see thats even weirder, i have the same system w/ navi, it shows "phone" and "address book" grayed out, just like some navi options that you can't access when your driving...got me peeved!

i feel like its just a software problem, but only the techs know, i asked a Saab tech while getting a tune-up, and he brushed me off by saying "I can't do anything" making me feel like there was a way to activate it, he's just not supposed too....

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
As per my training, Saabs in the US do not come with bluetooth. They can be setup to work w/ an aftermarket installed system, but for the car to pick up bluetooth from a phone in your pocket, nope.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SaabTech said:
As per my training, Saabs in the US do not come with bluetooth. They can be setup to work w/ an aftermarket installed system, but for the car to pick up bluetooth from a phone in your pocket, nope.

-Pat
What about upgrade to digital Onstar? I know 2005 9-5s ship with digital onstar. can you take the phone unit out of 9-5 and put it into 9-3. (You have to open up the onstar box and replace just that component)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tel1: prewired with microphone, external antenna, mute, buttons on the steering wheel etc.

Tel2: the internal phone (which I've heard can't be purchased in the US). Tel2 is, with other words, nothing more than a phone device located in the trunk. The Tel2 unit, such as many cellular phones on the market, has bluetooth functionality. This is the bluetooth functionality to be found in the Infotainment's menu system.

As far as I have understood, and explained above, the bluetooth functionality comes with the Tel2. That means that You can use bluetooth for different kind of things such as transferring address book entries from Your bluetooth mobile phone to the Tel2 and connect Your bluetooth pda to a WAP service (also this through Tel2's simcard).

Personally, I would have found it superb to connect my cellular phone to the vehicle's bluetooth system and never had to worry about having two subscriptions (which the simcard equipped Tel2 requires). However, this doesn't seem to be an option, unless the Tel1 in combination with a bluetooth enabled handsfree kit is mounted.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I found this thread http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51444&highlight=tel1+bluetooth+tel2 quite useful as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts