SaabCentral Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
All true photousa, we learn each time. And always an excuse to buy a new tool! But I know my limits, which are more than yours I believe. FYI just had mine done about $150 each side for labor
I think that's actually a good deal on labor based on my experience. It took me two hours to rebuild one side and I failed, so I'm going back to get it right the second time. I was also surprised to find that my bumpstop was completely destroyed which cost me a little time to get a generic replacement. That was in a rental garage costing me $30 per hour, so it wasn't a free lesson.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I think that's actually a good deal on labor based on my experience. It took me two hours to rebuild one side and I failed, so I'm going back to get it right the second time. I was also surprised to find that my bumpstop was completely destroyed which cost me a little time to get a generic replacement. That was in a rental garage costing me $30 per hour, so it wasn't a free lesson.
I ended up taking both front struts apart for a second time on my 2000 to replace the bump stops, bearings, and a mount that I had to reuse. I bought a pair of Monroe strut mounts, and one of the nuts snapped right off when I started to thread it. I had to reuse one of the old ones to get the car on the road, but of course that was the cause of a creak on the left side of the car. The car had a creak on the right side after I moved that mount to the right. At least removing the struts and rebuilding them is pretty quick on these cars once you've done it a few times. :cheesy: It's a walk in the park compared to doing the same job on a NG900 or OG9-3. If anyone else needs bump stops, you can get Rein versions from RockAuto for about $3.00 each. They're slightly taller than the originals on my 2000, but they look about identical to the ones that Saab sells now, if not identical, and they're made in Germany.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I ended up taking both front struts apart for a second time on my 2000 to replace the bump stops, bearings, and a mount that I had to reuse. I bought a pair of Monroe strut mounts, and one of the nuts snapped right off when I started to thread it. I had to reuse one of the old ones to get the car on the road, but of course that was the cause of a creak on the left side of the car. The car had a creak on the right side after I moved that mount to the right. At least removing the struts and rebuilding them is pretty quick on these cars once you've done it a few times. :cheesy: It's a walk in the park compared to doing the same job on a NG900 or OG9-3. If anyone else needs bump stops, you can get Rein versions from RockAuto for about $3.00 each. They're slightly taller than the originals on my 2000, but they look about identical to the ones that Saab sells now, if not identical, and they're made in Germany.
Interesting notes on the rebuild process. I used the Uro "Black" mount which comes with 12mm bolts instead of the 10mm used with the stock mounts, it also ships with a really cheap bearing which I did not use. The stock mount that came off of my "03 was the Silver, (dome looking) version with 10mm bolts. I also put in the new stock, French made bearing and a new zinc disc. As a last minute solution to my destroyed stock bumpstop I had to use the Monroe bumpstop, which I had to hollow out because it's not designed as a direct swap.

Now that the setup makes an awful sound and feels terrible, I'm switching to the Silver Uro mounts, (which I have to tap myself) & the Rein version of the bumpstop. Btw, if anyone needs to know the Metric tap size for the untapped Uro Silver mounts it's 8 x 1.25.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I believe that in 2002, when Saab slightly redesigned the front struts, they switched to silver strut mounts themselves. Those are actually still available from them, unlike the older black ones, which are on backorder or no longer available. The 1999-2001 OEM strut mounts also used M8x1.25 bolts, and so do the Monroes. I remember reading a post from someone, possibly in this thread, who used whatever bolts his aftermarket mounts came with and they made a lot of noise because the bolts were too long and rubbed on part of the strut, causing it to not rotate smoothly. I reused my car's original bolts since the Monroe mounts I bought didn't come with any.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I believe that in 2002, when Saab slightly redesigned the front struts, they switched to silver strut mounts themselves. Those are actually still available from them, unlike the older black ones, which are on backorder or no longer available. The 1999-2001 OEM strut mounts also used M8x1.25 bolts, and so do the Monroes. I remember reading a post from someone, possibly in this thread, who used whatever bolts his aftermarket mounts came with and they made a lot of noise because the bolts were too long and rubbed on part of the strut, causing it to not rotate smoothly. I reused my car's original bolts since the Monroe mounts I bought didn't come with any.
Good to know, maybe the bolt is one of my issues, but the replacement bolts didn't seem abnormally long to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I installed the black version on both of my 06' saabs with no issues at all.
Taxicavenger, did you use the URO bearing that came with the kit or did you use the SKF?
My 2006 SAAB 9-5 is in desperate need of a driver side strut mount and bearing set. The Koni mount/bearing lasted less than 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Taxicavenger, did you use the URO bearing that came with the kit or did you use the SKF?
My 2006 SAAB 9-5 is in desperate need of a driver side strut mount and bearing set. The Koni mount/bearing lasted less than 30,000 miles.
SKF. The one that came in the kit seemed inferior in build quality imo.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
As a follow up, I ended up replacing my eEuro parts black strut mount with the URO Part #523336, (the URO parts looks like the original Strut Mount that came off the car). I bought the correct tap and die and cut my own threads in the strut mounts. All of the parts I used to rebuid my struts were stock, Saab parts, (except the strut mounts). I have to say, these strut mounts have been a disaster! I followed all of the directions closely and torqued the top nut to the proper specs after the strut had been installed. Since then, I get the most odd tapping sound when I roll over rough pavement, a clicking sound like the top of the strut shaft if hitting the black strut mount cover. At the time, I probably looked at the cost difference and couldn't justify $75 a piece for "Saab" strut mounts. Now I'm going to have to do the job again, not thrilled. Photo attached is of the Rock Auto, "URO" strut mount part that is giving me trouble. Have any others out there experience this issue? Did you use any grease when putting together the strut assembly?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
As a follow up, I ended up replacing my eEuro parts black strut mount with the URO Part #523336, (the URO parts looks like the original Strut Mount that came off the car). I bought the correct tap and die and cut my own threads in the strut mounts. All of the parts I used to rebuid my struts were stock, Saab parts, (except the strut mounts). I have to say, these strut mounts have been a disaster! I followed all of the directions closely and torqued the top nut to the proper specs after the strut had been installed. Since then, I get the most odd tapping sound when I roll over rough pavement, a clicking sound like the top of the strut shaft if hitting the black strut mount cover. At the time, I probably looked at the cost difference and couldn't justify $75 a piece for "Saab" strut mounts. Now I'm going to have to do the job again, not thrilled. Photo attached is of the Rock Auto, "URO" strut mount part that is giving me trouble. Have any others out there experience this issue? Did you use any grease when putting together the strut assembly? View attachment 274287
I am still running the black version. The URO ones were to much of a hassle for me to keep them on my car.

What did you change out the black version?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I am still running the black version. The URO ones were to much of a hassle for me to keep them on my car.

What did you change out the black version?
I tried the Black strut mounts that I purchased from eEuro parts, but I was still getting noise from the setup. I just purchased a couple of the silver, "Boge", Saab stock strut mounts. I'll cut the threads with my tap and die and get them installed. That means I'll have all stock parts, identical to the parts that came off. We'll see if that fixes things. I thought about just putting back on my original, stock, "Boge" strut mounts, but they had $160K miles on them.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I tried the Black strut mounts that I purchased from eEuro parts, but I was still getting noise from the setup. I just purchased a couple of the silver, "Boge", Saab stock strut mounts. I'll cut the threads with my tap and die and get them installed. That means I'll have all stock parts, identical to the parts that came off. We'll see if that fixes things. I thought about just putting back on my original, stock, "Boge" strut mounts, but they had $160K miles on them.
If you still have the same noise my belief is it is something else besides the mounts.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts