SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm off to Bedford Aerodrome for a track day tomorrow and have got a little friend to take with me for some more fun! :cheesy:

His name's Mr Manual Boost Controller. I'd like to check that I'm fitting it right. Dose it go on the middle pipe leading from the waste gate (or pipe marked W) to the APC?

This is the one I've got:http://www.elkparts.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/23_120_623/products_id/1087?osCsid=fc90ddb9905d477725cbcd5152be800c

I know they are very sensitive so I want to get it right as I've only just got the car back after fitting a new gear box!

All help/comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance too.;)

Si

·
Registered
640 Posts
Dont remember about the pipes, but I was messing big time with them. I was 100% sure that I am doing it right but in the end turned out to be the other way around.

Btw not much use from these manual controllers. Basically you use electronic boost controller with electronically adjustable solenoid valve, which can then be configured so that the max boost wont float.

If you set it up with the MBC it will increase but fload. Like going up then cutting it off a little then up again, which is no good for performance. It is better to set it electronically a little bit lower so that it is static rather than mechanically higher while it keeps floating.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can i not put this inline with the APC just so i'm tweeking the boost by a few PSI? :roll:

If so am i right i thinking it would be the hose marked "C"?

·
Registered
593 Posts
NO...

its the one marked W...for wastegate....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i have one..
you need to go from the charge line of the turbo into the MBC then OUT to the wastegate.. leave the intake feed on your stock BPC so it has a reading .. like this..

your stock BPC should be marked Wastegate Compressor Intake
WCI

take the c hose, put it to the in of your mbc
take the w hose, put it to the out of your mbc
leave the i hose alone for readings

zip tie it in place and have fun

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
not really :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
How far are you cranking the boost up?

Try leaving the Inlet hose on and running a fuel cut defender. This is just basically a restriction valve between the inlet and the MAP sensor telling the ECU it is not getting as much boost as it is actually getting. Good for small increases but could cause a lean out at higher boost levels.

9000CST

·
Registered
590 Posts
The MBC is a device to retard the opening of the wastegate, and should be fitted in the "W" line. It's a good idea to leave the "C" line alone, also the MAP sensor line, so both the ECU and APC know what the true boost is. Use a boost gauge to see what's going on, and don't go for more than another 4-5 psi.

Incidentally, Maptun DOES NOT APPROVE of any performance-enhancing devices like MBC's being used with their upgrades, as engine damage might well occur.

Good luck at the racetrack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank all for your help.

I had a great time and left quite a few cars (BMW M3, Elise 111R's, Menardo VXR's, Fiat Coupe's and the odd porker) standing around the track :cheesy:

I only managed to get a few photos as I spent 99.9% of the time on the track, you should see my tyres! :eek: I had some great sideways action though with an instructor in the car (he loved it!) :cool: Well impressed with the car too!

Photos: http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album48

·
Banned
637 Posts
Glad you had a good time :) Track time can be thrilling.
Don't understand the meaning of ' Leaving those other cars standing around' ?
This means you were producing an entertaining tire smoking spectacle while they watched?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, i've done alot of track days and this track is by far the best! What i ment was some of them where having troble keeping up with the good old saab! :cheesy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts