SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey to everybody,

As you remember me I just bought the SAAB 900.

I was just driving with my friend for about 100 kilometers and we wer driving quite aggresively.. Suddenly the CHECK ENGINE and the OIL Sign came on.
The motor started to make this strange clicking and shaking noise and there was some oil comming out of the Engine. We drove back home carefully.

WHAT shoud i do? It is very urgent!

Here is the picure: I think it was leaking from here.. just a little bit.

Thanks a lot!
Mati - RtR

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mmustillo said:
Hey to everybody,

I was just driving with my friend for about 100 kilometers and we wer driving quite aggresively.. Suddenly the CHECK ENGINE and the OIL Sign came on.
The motor started to make this strange clicking and shaking noise and there was some oil comming out of the Engine. We drove back home carefully.

Umm, silly question, but is there any oil in the engine?

If not, put some in. Quite a bit in. Start the thing up, and make sure the oil light goes out. See if it's now quieter. Have a bloody good look round the engine to see if the oil's coming out again.

If you were out of oil, the oil's staying in, the engine's now quiet - then slap yourself firmly round the head for not checking the level before you went for a hoon. Then count your lucky stars, you've probably got away with it.

If you were out of oil, and it's pouring out or the engine still sounds like a bag of bolts, then it's probably new engine time.

Otherwise, you've got some digging to do - and I wouldn't be hooning it until you've dug a bit deeper...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
Umm, silly question, but is there any oil in the engine?

If not, put some in. Quite a bit in. Start the thing up, and make sure the oil light goes out. See if it's now quieter. Have a bloody good look round the engine to see if the oil's coming out again.

If you were out of oil, the oil's staying in, the engine's now quiet - then slap yourself firmly round the head for not checking the level before you went for a hoon. Then count your lucky stars, you've probably got away with it.

If you were out of oil, and it's pouring out or the engine still sounds like a bag of bolts, then it's probably new engine time.

Otherwise, you've got some digging to do - and I wouldn't be hooning it until you've dug a bit deeper...
Hey, Thanks for your quick reply!

That was the first thing we checked the oil, transmision fluid, everything was at the same level as 3 hours ago when I cecked it.
So thats alright.
But the CHECK ENGINE went on than we stopped and then when we turned the engine on again it was off.
What about the fuel pump injection..? it a 16v.

PLEASE ANYBODY HELP.

Mati

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteveTheFolkie said:
Where was the oil coming out of the engine?
Hey,

There was a little bit of oil comming from under the sark plug HEAD.. from the part where are the cylinder compartment.

what could cause this.. this might not be true but what was the CHECK ENGINE?? and strange sound??

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
mmustillo said:
Hey to everybody,

Thanks a lot!
Mati - RtR
Ok you need to make sure what is going on.

Did the engine lose a large quantity of oil? It's possible the oil pump itself may have failed, or it could be a crankshaft oil seal, or maybe if the car is a turbo one, a hose to/from the engine oil cooler has broken.

Have you refilled the engine with oil and tried starting it to see where or if oil leaks from? Does the oil pressure warning light go out?

Let us know if you need any more help! I'm in Sydney otherwise I'd be glad to drop in and have a look at the car for you.

Craig.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please help

c900 said:
Ok you need to make sure what is going on.

Did the engine lose a large quantity of oil? It's possible the oil pump itself may have failed, or it could be a crankshaft oil seal, or maybe if the car is a turbo one, a hose to/from the engine oil cooler has broken.

Have you refilled the engine with oil and tried starting it to see where or if oil leaks from? Does the oil pressure warning light go out?

Let us know if you need any more help! I'm in Sydney otherwise I'd be glad to drop in and have a look at the car for you.

Craig.
Hey, thanks a lot for your kind help.

I would not talk about the oil because I think that it is not the problem.
The engine has inside a strange clicking sound. what could that be?
and what does the Check engine mean?? If the fuel pump fail´d the emerency one would turn on right? can that make the clicking and a little bit of shaking?

thanks a lot.! what a shame you are in sydney. I had this car for 4 days and I love it.. please help me.
I actually have tears in my eyes now. thank you.!!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mmustillo said:
The engine has inside a strange clicking sound. what could that be?
Could be almost anything from a slightly stretched timing chain or noisy injectors to a rod trying to exit the side of the block... The first two are nothing to worry about, the third is.

Can you tell roughly _where_ in the engine it's coming from? Is it loud, hard, fast or what?

and what does the Check engine mean??
It means the engine management's seen something it doesn't understand from one of the sensors. No more, no less. To find out where to start looking, you'll want to make yourself a fault code reader wire and see if there's a code stored.

If the fuel pump fail´d the emerency one would turn on right?
Umm, emergency what? Emergency fuel pump? No such thing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
Could be almost anything from a slightly stretched timing chain or noisy injectors to a rod trying to exit the side of the block... The first two are nothing to worry about, the third is.

Can you tell roughly _where_ in the engine it's coming from? Is it loud, hard, fast or what?

It means the engine management's seen something it doesn't understand from one of the sensors. No more, no less. To find out where to start looking, you'll want to make yourself a fault code reader wire and see if there's a code stored.

Umm, emergency what? Emergency fuel pump? No such thing.
Thanks,
The clicking is comming from like underneth where are the Spark plugs.. thats where are the cylinders (motor). right? we were accelerating fast, then sharp turns, a bit of aggressive driving. Could something crack? the motor got stressed? a pipe get lose? and there is a backup fuel pump incase the main fuel pump fails.. thanks for every word.. please

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mmustillo said:
The clicking is comming from like underneth where are the Spark plugs.. thats where are the cylinders (motor). right?
The plugs are underneath that flat central plate screwed onto the cam cover - the black bit with "Saab 16 valve" shown clearly in your photo.

If it's coming from within the cam cover, then it could be the hydraulic tappets are more than a little oil-starved.

It it's coming just from the windscreen end of the cam cover, is quite fast, and more noticable when you start up from cold, then it's a loose timing chain.

If it's quite quiet and coming more from the inlet manifold, then it'll be the injectors. They're meant to be a bit clicky.

we were accelerating fast, then sharp turns, a bit of aggressive driving.
Heh. That could cover a multitude of sins... And, yes, it's entirely possible to utterly kill a car within a very short hoon if you REALLY try...

and there is a backup fuel pump incase the main fuel pump fails..
No, there isn't.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

TooMany2cvs said:
The plugs are underneath that flat central plate screwed onto the cam cover - the black bit with "Saab 16 valve" shown clearly in your photo.

If it's coming from within the cam cover, then it could be the hydraulic tappets are more than a little oil-starved.

It it's coming just from the windscreen end of the cam cover, is quite fast, and more noticable when you start up from cold, then it's a loose timing chain.

If it's quite quiet and coming more from the inlet manifold, then it'll be the injectors. They're meant to be a bit clicky.

Heh. That could cover a multitude of sins... And, yes, it's entirely possible to utterly kill a car within a very short hoon if you REALLY try...

No, there isn't.
But the car drives, but can I damage anything if I continue?
I also think that it has a smaller preformance now.
Can I blow the engine? Or mess up something?
But we were driving roughf and then suddenly this happend so it had to happen because of the way we were driving, something broke off, cracked, overheated..? If we were driving normally I would understand that it just happens but you can tell that this happend due to the way we were driving.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
If you lost oil pressure then I'd expect quite a bit of clacking from the cylinder head - there are a number of ways to lose oil pressure. One is a failed / failing oil pump (the melling gears do wear out), another is a clogged oil passage (from some interal spooge coming free and wedging itself in a hole), another is a faulty oil filter (although the OF should have a pressure bypass so if it clogs the oil continues to flow) -

If your oil level was low while you were driving in a spirited fashion you might have cavitated the oil pump (the oil shoshes around in the sump when you turn hard, sometimes leaving the oil pump pickup dry) and done some damage to the top end (cams, lifters, various chains) - but you'd have had to really push the car to do anything seriously bad.

A leak from the cam cover isn't unheard of - unless the oil is gushing out it's probably not an issue - however - a leak CAN be an indicator of a clogged return passage (the oil gets pumped into the cylinder head but can't find a way out, so the pressure builds in the cam covers and finds the point of least resistance, where it leaks out).

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
If the oil level is fine I might suspect that some oil passage to the top of the engine is blocked or obstructed. That would explain a ticking noise (not enough oil for the lifters), and perhaps the oil pressure light. Did the car stall out at all when it happened, or just get bogged down? When you start the car now (which it seems you can) how does it behave/when and where does it click?

·
Registered
751 Posts
take the cam cover off and have a look at the lifters. check non are dented at the top. i wouldnt revv the engine up with it sounding like a bag of bolts. but does it run ok? If you have an early engine theres oil feed pipes in the cylinder head, check there all clear and working. also check all your valves and lifters are returning correctly. if you were on the revv limiter when this happend its possible you damaged something in the cylinder head.

Does the check engine and or Oil light come on after you've started up the engine?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
mmustillo said:
But the car drives, but can I damage anything if I continue?
I also think that it has a smaller preformance now.
Can I blow the engine? Or mess up something?
Until you've done some basic diagnostics, I wouldn't drive it. I wouldn't even start it more than necessary.

Do you know anything about the history of this new-to-you car? Has it been looked after and maintained in the recent past?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SteveTheFolkie said:
If you lost oil pressure then I'd expect quite a bit of clacking from the cylinder head - there are a number of ways to lose oil pressure. One is a failed / failing oil pump (the melling gears do wear out), another is a clogged oil passage (from some interal spooge coming free and wedging itself in a hole), another is a faulty oil filter (although the OF should have a pressure bypass so if it clogs the oil continues to flow) -

If your oil level was low while you were driving in a spirited fashion you might have cavitated the oil pump (the oil shoshes around in the sump when you turn hard, sometimes leaving the oil pump pickup dry) and done some damage to the top end (cams, lifters, various chains) - but you'd have had to really push the car to do anything seriously bad.

A leak from the cam cover isn't unheard of - unless the oil is gushing out it's probably not an issue - however - a leak CAN be an indicator of a clogged return passage (the oil gets pumped into the cylinder head but can't find a way out, so the pressure builds in the cam covers and finds the point of least resistance, where it leaks out).
Thanks, you know a lot about this! much more than others.
so you say if the oil pump fails this clicking is due to that?
When the Check engine turned on, i read the manual and it said in it that it means that the Fuel injection system has failed or something is wrong with that. also the engine temperaature is normally about 15 per cent of 100 when I drive normaly and this time it was about 50 of 100.
So can this thing be repaired? expensive?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks

TheRedBaron said:
If the oil level is fine I might suspect that some oil passage to the top of the engine is blocked or obstructed. That would explain a ticking noise (not enough oil for the lifters), and perhaps the oil pressure light. Did the car stall out at all when it happened, or just get bogged down? When you start the car now (which it seems you can) how does it behave/when and where does it click?
The car did not stall, it kept on going but when the check engine and oil light popped up i stopped right away.
The car behaves normally, but you can hear and feel that something is wrong inside. The clicking comes out from the part where are the cylinders that go up and down I think. I dont know. I will check tomorrow again. now it dark.
When I start up, the Check engine is not on, but when I put the key in position 2, car not started yet, I get the orange check engine lit up, It was never there before.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JimmyG said:
take the cam cover off and have a look at the lifters. check non are dented at the top. i wouldnt revv the engine up with it sounding like a bag of bolts. but does it run ok? If you have an early engine theres oil feed pipes in the cylinder head, check there all clear and working. also check all your valves and lifters are returning correctly. if you were on the revv limiter when this happend its possible you damaged something in the cylinder head.

Does the check engine and or Oil light come on after you've started up the engine?
hey,

I do not know how to check and have a look if everything is fine. I dont even know what is what. Im just starting in motoring.
The engine and oil light do not come up when I start but you can hear and feel that something is wrong inside. I just had it for a coupe of days.. :-( one crazy drive and this happens.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am new to SAABs. But I have been playing around motors for a long time. Mostly american (Chevy, AMC). Trouble shooting is different with EFI than with carburated engines and I never played with Turbo but here is my 2 cents.

First, calm down. Every thing will go better afterwards.

Second, start by checking the spark plugs. You get to see if the cylinders are all fireing. If there is oil on one or several plugs, it won’t tell you what the problem is but it might show you where the problem is.

If you have a compression gauge (fairly cheep in parts store), check all four cylinders. If one is lower than the other, you could suspect anything from bad lifters, bent pushrod, sticking valve, burned valve etc... It they are all the same and compression is OK, than it’s something else and the motor (valves, cam, pushrods, piston rings) is OK.

A vacuum gauge can also diagnose engine problems. Check on the net, there are a lot of sites covering engine diagnosis with vacuum gauges.

Take your time and don’t panic. It’s just mechanics, everything is fixable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mmustillo said:
hey,

I do not know how to check and have a look if everything is fine. I dont even know what is what. Im just starting in motoring.
The engine and oil light do not come up when I start but you can hear and feel that something is wrong inside. I just had it for a coupe of days.. :-( one crazy drive and this happens.
May be the car was stop for several month . when a saab car stop for a long time , several month , or may be a year or more it's rather usual to have problem with the head gasket when one's make it run again.
the oil leak may come from the head gasket.
A few year ago I had problem with my saab the oil leak was near your oil leak and it was the head gasket.
what is difficult to understand is that the oil level is fine and there is a leak of oil.
Except if the antifreeze mixture pass into the motor oil.
Is the antifreeze mixture level fine in the expansion tank?
I think it is hard to live as you have just move in australia. I share your problem in my mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts