SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i just bought a full set of Brembo rotors and Axxis pads from eeuroparts. After enough trifle i finally get the fronts installed, following the play-by-play from saab9000.com to the letter, RIGHT down to having to cut out one of the retainers for the rotor* Anywho, everything seems to be in order and i go for a test run. hit the brakes, harder harder..... and the harder i do it, the louder the knock i hear. It seems to be kind of omnidirectional. and i can't pinpoint it. It gets louder the harder i hit the pedal, and is proportionate with my speed. I've torn everything apart three times now and NOthing is out of place; clips are in place, everything's torqued, the old bolt.. i had to grind flush with the wheel hub, so it's not mmisaligning the rotor, or anything. i don't know what's wrong .. please guys.. help me out :(
what should i look for? what did i miss?
-=tristan=-

·
Registered
434 Posts
Tristan,

I onced had a knocking problem from the caliper bolt sleeve (that rubber piece) and I had to replace that to solve the knocking. Other than that, if you've visually inspected and can't find the problem, maybe the pads aren't an exact fit and are rattling around and making a knocking sound?! :-?

I'm not exactly sure, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Make sure your suspension components are up to snuff as well. If you have a dust shield, check that out too.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
What kind of shape are your calipers in? My left owe was sticking (what killed my pads and disks way before their time) and I had a similar issue to yours because of it. Check the gasket around the piston and see if it is loose.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
valbowski1980 said:
What kind of shape are your calipers in? My left owe was sticking (what killed my pads and disks way before their time) and I had a similar issue to yours because of it. Check the gasket around the piston and see if it is loose.
yeah.. my calipers are the same age as my car.... 240.. and they are CRAPPED out. and now that you mention it, my one piston gasket issticking out, i tried pushing it back in, but no go. I think i'm gonna get new calipers next paycheck..

i'm having issues getting the back brakes in too . but i think i'll make that a new thread

thanks..
-=tristan=-

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
tristan_the_trout said:
yeah.. my calipers are the same age as my car.... 240.. and they are CRAPPED out. and now that you mention it, my one piston gasket issticking out, i tried pushing it back in, but no go. I think i'm gonna get new calipers next paycheck..

i'm having issues getting the back brakes in too . but i think i'll make that a new thread

thanks..
-=tristan=-
I got my calipers from Autozone for less than 100 bucks (pair). This was after the core refund also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: New brakes
Hi
I recently replaced all the brake disks on my 9000 with brembo disks. As you said I followed all the right steps and when I took the car out for its first test run I got a terrible knocking sound, speed related from one of the front disks. I eventually traced it to a slight run out on one disk. I hadn't cleaned the area on the steering knuckle where the disk fitted properly, there was a small amount of rust present from the previous disk which was causing runout. After I cleaned the area with a wire brush and refitted the disk, all was quiet. That was 2000 miles ago haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
icarus50 said:
Re: New brakes
Hi
I recently replaced all the brake disks on my 9000 with brembo disks. As you said I followed all the right steps and when I took the car out for its first test run I got a terrible knocking sound, speed related from one of the front disks. I eventually traced it to a slight run out on one disk. I hadn't cleaned the area on the steering knuckle where the disk fitted properly, there was a small amount of rust present from the previous disk which was causing runout. After I cleaned the area with a wire brush and refitted the disk, all was quiet. That was 2000 miles ago haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.
Nice! I had the exact same problem and soloution with my Windstar Mini van... quite diconcerting when you first hear that noise!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
valbowski1980 said:
I got my calipers from Autozone for less than 100 bucks (pair). This was after the core refund also.
heh i work at advance auto parts :D.. i can get all four for $220..
<3 employee discout <3

as for cleaning off the nuckle, i wiped off all the old anti sieze and everthing looked intact. In fact, that was the one surface around there NOT plated in rust, due to the anti-sieze. I dunno, i'm gonna pull it all apart again and take another look... maybe try the good ol' cursing technique passed down by generations of saab owners.. :/ Wish i knew which side to look at.. the sound is kind of omni-directional :/

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey everybody:
I hope you don't mind that i have some general questions to stick in here. I was thinking about replacing my calipers in my car too.....it sounds like you guys are opting for the rebuilt ones (w/core charge) instead of new. Are the rebuilt ones usually just as good? I was looking at eeuorparts. The price seems comparable to the places suggested. Any difference in quality?
I was also considering changing discs/pads when i have enough money. Does it matter what sequence you do it in? like, can i change the calipers and leave the discs/pads, then change them later? Can i change the discs and then change the pads later? or will the old stuff harm whatever new stuff i put in?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Does it matter what sequence you do it in? like, can i change the calipers and leave the discs/pads, then change them later? Can i change the discs and then change the pads later? or will the old stuff harm whatever new stuff i put in?
Does it matter what sequence you do it in?........depends..... like, can i change the calipers and leave the discs/pads....yes........ then change them later?.....yes. Can i change the discs and then change the pads later?..........NO! or will the old stuff harm whatever new stuff i put in?.......YES!

Hope this helps :cheesy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts