SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

i have been a lurker for quite some time now learning in dribs and drabs about my car. i want to thank anyone with some help in advance because i am at a complete loss and am in desperate need of help.

My 2003 2.3l saab 9-5 linear Automatic has pooped out on me completely and i thought i would turn to the experts before i let my local mechanic tinker around.

I will try and describe in detail what events took place up untill this time. I noticed a slight hesitation in the start up of the car for a week prior to it pooping out on me. no cranking or whining on just an extra "repetition" of the engine before it kicked on. it was still pulling fine, building up boost and accelerating at the normal pace, i figured my battery was dyeing and just thought i would replace it at my leisure. between and four and five days after i noticed the hesitation i noticed a small "kick" when bringing the car from park or neutral into drive. over the course of one day the "kick" turned more severe and and was actually startling if you didn't expect it. i planned on taking it in to a mechanic in the next week if i could get the time off of work. The tranny still shifted smooth through the range of gears and from neutral to reverse as well as park to reverse. On the same day on the way home from my errands, the car made an alert noise, while going maybe 40 mph. the traction control light came on as well as the triangle with the explanation mark, check engine, oil, parking brake and transmission light were all illuminated. i immediately pulled off the road and tried to restart the car. the engine did not turn over and simply made a repetitive clicking noise as if the battery was dead. i called for a jump, the engine started right up, was able to put into gear, with the kick but died seconds later. it was actually a major task to get the car into neutral seeing that my brake pedal was hard, as if the car was parked normally. i re-jumped the car and got it pushed into a legal parking spot. I then purchased a new battery for the car, from the dealer. installed it into the car. i then used my obdII reader and pulled code P0560. i then erased the codes and drove the car home. after the new battery was installed i had no problems with start up. Driving the car felt sluggish to accelerate, the turbo seemed to not boost to the same pressure, going audibly thanks to my open air intake. even though my boost gauge was spot on with my rpms. While taking the car for a spin around the neighborhood to "test" it out. the same sequence of events happened. alert noise, all lights above illuminated and completely lost power to my transmission. in drive the engine would race up quickly but the car would move at maybe 3-4 mph. moving from drive to reverse and back to park it the transmission was "kicking" both ways. i then turned it off and now its sitting in the spot not turning over. the obdII says no codes found even though the CEL as well as all the other lights are illuminated. I am at a complete loss and have no clue what to do now. although my local mechanic says he can work on saab no problem i am reluctant to let him look at it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds to me like your alternator is gone. When my alt went all of the lights illuminated as yours are now. They way to check it is to jump the car and then put a volt meter on the terminals to see if the battery is getting a charge. The alternator is a real pita to fix on these cars. I replaced mine in my driveway. Not fun. It took me 4-5 hours with a helper. Good luck hope this helps you. These cars are very fin icky when they're not getting the proper voltage.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Also be sure to check your battery cables to make sure they are ok along with all of the grounds. As ChetP stated these cars get very finicky with these types of problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply guys. i was thinking it might be the alternator. when you say check the grounds what grounds are you talking about? all my wiring looks fresh and corrosion free. sorry guys im kind of new at the whole do it yourself mechanic thing but my family obligations really prevent me from taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the battery cables/ terminals look fresh and corrosion free.. which grounds specifically are you talking about? im kind of new at the whole DIY thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts